Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with a new image.

Options
  • 21-05-2008 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I'm starting back into uni in a few months in to a two yr course that will send me into the workplace for at least half of it (placements). Ive seen other students wearing smart trousers, heeled shoes and shirts, or shirts with a jumper over them. Clone like. There is no clothes specification but I imagine smart casual.

Basically, my wardrobe consists of nothing like that bar one pair of black trousers and a white shirt that I use for interviews..I cannot wait to throw them into the wardrobe as soon as I get home. They fit nice (I searched the city for them) but the idea of wearing them makes me feel restricted and almost itchy!I have never ever been a smart trouser kind of girl, my clothes are, well, mainly H+M and Topshop based, anything from skinny jeans and a cardi, to a dress and ankle boots to h+m skirts and tees..Id like to think I'm relatively unique (okay highstreet but with my own flare!) Obv I cant wear these on placement so what can I wear that isnt a stuffy generic black trouser and shirt?

So I really need help. Bad. I was thinking of contacting an image consultant but looked at Colour Me Beautiful etc and they are expensive. Are they worth it? If so can someone recommend one?Are they gonna put me in clothes that make me balk? (FTR I understand I have to have some sort of give here, and will have to compromise a bit!)

Even regards makeup application, Id like to have a a more updated look and to know what Im doing exactly. I dont particularly want to go into BTs as Id feel conscious of my skin which is silly, but I would.

Would appreciate any tips or advice, or ideas of what staple items I should look out for in shops. I hope this post doesnt sound silly but Im not sure where to start. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

imo the smart trousers and shirt thing is more for convenience (its easier to follow everyone else than to put originality into your work clothes) id do admit to wearing these at times but when im up to putting a little effort in i go with long or sometimes knee length skirts (on the conservitive side) with plain long/short slieve fittled tees, your trusty cardi can be worn over this too. it all depends on what sort of work envoirnment you will be going in to. somtimes its easier to go the clone route till you see what/how far the boundaries are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Thanks, I like the idea of conservative skirts! Well it depends as my job will be with the social services really..I just am apprehensive about stepping in to places like Zara with their beiges and creams..totally outta my depth! Hence I need a personal shopper too!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I think Dundrum offer a personal shopper service, might be useful?

Thanks Pythia but Im over in the West..

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭golden gal

I would recommend clinique for sophis make up. Their image is generally very clean and neat and there are some really nice eyeshadows with a little shimmer. For one look try light foundation with a gold eye cream such as the rimmel colour mousse (I love the 007 shade) brought from you eyelid up to your brow (obviously blend loads!!) with clinique colour surge eyeshadow (strawberry fudge is gorge!) just lightly applied. It gives kind of a glow look which is neat also. Just add light blusher and clear lipgloss or vaseline!

For formal clothing you can still work with H&M defo! You do not need to stick to blacks and greys, nice browns can be really classy looking. A simple cardi with a white vest top some beads and either a knee length skirt or slacks works a charm. Work with what you have becuase there is no point wasting money on items which you won't wear after you finish. Cardis are such a great because they can be dressed up or down without too much hassle. You can still bring your own style by adding things like brooches and belts, just make sure its balanced with basic pieces.

• Advertisement

Wow ideas already thanks! used to use clinique but switched to mac two years ago,but have been debating going back to clinique again..thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭wattsusieq

Im sure you could still stick to topshop & H&M, they have some very nice officey wear. anyway its not what you wear its how you wear it, you could go the ''clone'' route if you want just add you own twist to it.

Like layer short sleeved t-shirts or vests over shirts to make them different. If you wearing skirts wear some funky tights. Im sure you could come up with you rown quirky ways of making yoorself feel comfortable.

hope I helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

my job has a smart casual policy. I just buy all my stuff in penneys or h&M they have loads and they are not too pricey either. Id rather save my money for my non work clothes :)

Thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

in my work i deal with people in the social services from time to time and believe me most of them have a really quirky way of dressing! gone are the days of prim and proper, scarves, belts, broaches and even lopsided berets have been seen on the various people ive dealt with, so your cool!!

as for the personal shopper, the absoulte best one you can get is an honest friend (whos not afraid of you!) she will have no hidden adgenda, will not be time restrained, and will genuninly care that you get the right stuff. (no offence if theres any P.S. reading this!):p

• Advertisement

thank you! yeah i have noticed a change in the style for social workers etc there have a quirk it seems! from red shoes to scarves i have seen it,just wasnt sure if it was acceptable dress! i had a look in good old penneys today saw a few nice bits so i think ill pick up a few bits just for placement and keep my money for going out clothes:-D i guess i just am nervous venturing into the field of new style!

Advertisement