Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

torn between 2 tvs

Options
  • 21-05-2008 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

SAMSUNG 40" 5 SERIES FULL HD LCD LE40A552P3RXXU
    BONUS Free Offer HD DVD 1199.95
    SONY 40" V FULL HD 1080P KDL40V3000 1079

Hi Guys
    Just about to upgrade the old tube and have narrowed my choices down to these 2 bad boys above.

They both have more or less the same spec but i cant seem to pick one over the other. The samsung looks more stylish than the sony but a sony is a sony.

Any of you good folks have one of these or could recommend which one to go with? im buyin from power city also, are they ok to deal with?

My auld fella had trouble dealin with the sony center guys so im staying away from them. Cheeky muppets would take back a faulty 37 inch TV cause the auld fella wouldnt sheel out for installation and did it himself

thanks

the fist

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

im in the process of geting money together to buy the samsung, if you dont want the dvd player power city will knock €100 off

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

ask about warranty as store warranty usually doesnt cover much.
    ive a samgsung 40" very happy got it in pc world with a 5 year extended warranty
    which bascially covers it for any kind of damage you can think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

but a sony is a sony.

Not when it comes to flatscreens , their rep doesnt follow here , They were top of the line with CRT's , they definitely are not with flatscreens , I would go with the Samsung. They have more experience and are likely better quality than that Sony.

The real test is to get the shop to put on some SD football on both sets , my bet is the movement of the ball will be as blurry as hell on the Sony ( if you can see it at all ! ) , most of the Sony sets Ive seen lately have that problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

I bought a Samsung LE40M87 (Series 4) about a year ago. It had a problem with backlight bleeding which eventually got the better of me and I brought it back. After about 4 weeks of putting pressure on the guys in DID they agreed to replace it with a Series 6 LE40A656. DID replaced it. Samsung were still dragging their heels. I got a text about a week later from Samsung saying my TV could be picked up. DID had told me to ignore this. I am very unhappy with the new TV. More backlight bleeding, a weird issue where it seems to take a half second to properly focus on the image and sporadic helpings of triple ball effect. Neither TV should have passed QC. I'll never buy a Samsung again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Mister Fister

h8red wrote: »
    I bought a Samsung LE40M87 (Series 4) about a year ago. It had a problem with backlight bleeding which eventually got the better of me and I brought it back. After about 4 weeks of putting pressure on the guys in DID they agreed to replace it with a Series 6 LE40A656. DID replaced it. Samsung were still dragging their heels. I got a text about a week later from Samsung saying my TV could be picked up. DID had told me to ignore this. I am very unhappy with the new TV. More backlight bleeding, a weird issue where it seems to take a half second to properly focus on the image and sporadic helpings of triple ball effect. Neither TV should have passed QC. I'll never buy a Samsung again.

GAAAHHHHH!!!! i was going into powercity tomor to buy the samsung!!! gotta have a think about this....

i know you guys probably hear this all the time but what would you recommend? im going to spend no more than 1200 and 40" only!

thx for replies by the way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

Don't want to frighten you but it's a big decision. Have you ever visited avforums? Good place to read up about a prospective buy. I was very happy with the M87 except for the bleeding. I can't believe the A656 is so poor. But you might get a hundred other peeps saying they are savage.

Anyway here's a link to the LE-A556/557/558/559 owners thread on avforums. A lot of people pose the question "Which 40" LCD" over there too so you could also look out for those threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Have you ever visited avforums

Avforums can be good , however , owner forums for any particular model are rampant with traders hyping up the products , usually they are quite obvious , with posts like ,

" I bought my new TV and I cant believe how good it is , definitely the best TV Ive ever had " and other such gushing rubbish .

So watch out for that , it has suckered many many people into buying below par products.

In my experience , the one make of TV that you hardly ever hear anyone complain about is Panasonic , you might consider those.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Panasonics - dogs' danglies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭ongarite

Yep, best LCD and Plasma's on the market today IMO.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Panasonics - dogs' danglies.
    +1

I feckin love my 42PY70 (5 year warranty is nice too :))

• Advertisement
Advertisement