Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat gone Weird

Options
  • 21-05-2008 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭

I don't know if anyone can help here.

My cat who is normally quiet and lazy, has started picking up mouthfulls of her food and bringing it elsewhere in the house, then eating it. While she's doing this she keeps meowing (!), the same call she'll give me if she's trying to get my attention for food or to get out. She had kittens about 6 weeks ago, and they can be fast asleep, and she'll start this carry-on then start licking them, waking them up.

Two of the kittens died about 2 weeks ago, and she took no notice whatsoever. When she starts the meowing, while shes eating, shes not looking for help from me, she just starts meowing at random things in the house. If it was two weeks ago, I'd have thought she was looking for the dead kittens, but its just started the last few days.

By the way, after this happens, she konks out asleep. As she is now!

If anyone has any advice on this it would be appreiciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Sounds like shs a bit distressed...............does she do it when you go near the kittens?
    She might have just noticed now that the other 2 kitens aremissing.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

She could be coming back into season, they can behave pretty funny then.

Are the kittens out and about? She could also be trying to teach them to hunt at this stage.

I'd get her into the vet for a checkup and her wee op to stop her becoming a kitten machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

It's a bit early for her to start showing them the ropes. That won't happen for another few weeks.

It sounds like she might be be a little distressed.
    What happened the other 2? Did she see them after they passed on? It might give an insight into her behaviour.
    She might want to move them, given what happened to the others but is unsure given her current setup. Have they a lot of room or are they confined to a small space?
    Sorry for the qustions but I'm just trying to get a better picture.

It's a bit early for her to start showing them the ropes. That won't happen for another few weeks.

Ah right, you'd know better than me, you've seen a lot more. My mum's cat was showing hers how to hunt from about 6 weeks, but then she is a bit smart and precocious herself, she can outsmart my parent so easily. When she started teaching her lot the parents back garden was a scene of carnage with all sorts of corpses everywhere.

They all turned into equally fabulous hunters except for the one that had flu really bad, I still maintain that she had a few brain cells fried when she was so sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

cotton wrote: »

It sounds like she might be be a little distressed.
    What happened the other 2? Did she see them after they passed on? It might give an insight into her behaviour.
    She might want to move them, given what happened to the others but is unsure given her current setup. Have they a lot of room or are they confined to a small space?
    Sorry for the qustions but I'm just trying to get a better picture.

The other two were found dead in the cat basket in the morning, they had been perfectly healthy the night before, do cats smother there young? I had washed the blanket they were using and put them into a basket which would have been smaller, then in the morning they were dead, but Mammy cat and other 4 kittens were fine. The dead kittens were cold, so had been dead for certainly a good few hours, so the Mum knew they were gone.

I watched her carefully over the next few days but no sign of distress. She was happy with where they were etc. They have the run of my whole downstairs, but will soon be relegated to the shed as I have a load of guests with kids over the weekend, and they will be safer out there.

Thanks for the replies.

• Advertisement

Can you get her spayed before you send her outside? If she is outside now there is a very high risk that she will be pregnant again very soon.

Advertisement