Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamo ViperMax Air Rifle

Options
  • 21-05-2008 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi Folks, what distance will a .22 (5.5) pellet travel shot from this air rifle at 700 fps

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

That's going to depend on the weight of the pellet you use scuttlebutt, but a quick google turns up reports of that rifle grouping inside one inch at 20m and hitting silhouettes at 55 yards, and 700fps is right on the 12 ft/lb limit with an average .22 pellet, so I'd believe those reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭scuttlebutt

So with an average pellet 55 yards is in range but whats out of range, ie safe

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

That's not really a straightforward question scuttlebutt. A bit of fiddling with an online calculator gives this:
    Initial Angle: 25.0 deg Terminal Angle: 62.5 deg
    Terminal Range: 513.3 yds Terminal Velocity: 125.2 ft/s
    Terminal Time: 8.902 s Terminal Energy: 1.1 ft•lbs
    But you'd have to do some testing, because the BC for an air rifle pellet varies depending on a dozen different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭scuttlebutt

Right so, kinda expected that. See i have a .22 WMR and I now that without a backstop there is no such thing as a safe shot but with a air rifle there is one and i want to use it for pest control. But thanks i will do the maths later.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

The gang over on airgunbbs.com are constantly on about this sort of stuff. A heap of info over there for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement