Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone Else Racing on the Track tonight?

Options
  • 21-05-2008 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭

I'll be heading down to get humbled again, anyone else coming?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Brought my kit into work today and plan on racing come hell or high water. Will probably have to go straight back to work afterwards though. Sigh...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

el tonto wrote: »
    Brought my kit into work today and plan on racing come hell or high water. Will probably have to go straight back to work afterwards though. Sigh...

You work too hard mate!

See you down there though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Only a few spins left for me before the W200 so I'll be off up the mountains again today.

That track stuff does sound interesting, may give it a go after the 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

where abouts is it? What time is it on?

Raam wrote: »
    where abouts is it? What time is it on?

Starts from half six (first race at 7), on the Sundrive Road track

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You work too hard mate!

See you down there though

I see you're already listed on the league table. One week of racing and they're already classing you as S2:eek:

I see you're already listed on the league table. One week of racing and they're already classing you as S2:eek:

They're fecking crazy so -I wasn't quite last, but almost last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

where's the league table? what time is the last race? is it open to go and watch (and if so what's the bike parking like?)

kenmc wrote: »
    where's the league table? what time is the last race? is it open to go and watch (and if so what's the bike parking like?)

tabel available to download here. Last race is around 8.30 ish (can't quite remember from last week). Plenty of space to park a bike in the centre of the track

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭ba

i'm going too. is it easy to sign on? and what is the general standard?

• Advertisement

ba wrote: »
    i'm going too. is it easy to sign on? and what is the general standard?

Just pay your money (if you've not got a license), and sign your name, easy as pie!

Standard is very mixed, from a scale of Great to TinyExplosions (great being the best, and TinyExplosions being me :))

how will i recognize you tiny? i have a license, so shouldn't be a problem

what format do the races take?

apart from going around in circles!

I think they vary the line up from week to week. First week was 10 lap scratch, reverse win and out, and 1km dash. I think TinyEx mentioned that there was a team pursuit last week (the 2nd week).

I'll be wearing a Team Discovery jersey, and will be lurking around my blue Paddy Wagon, I also have large holes in my ears that are hard to miss :)

They do vary the races every week, but explain exactly what each is before you do it, so there's no confusion. They usually finish (so I gather) with a team persuit, or Italian persuit, which is that everyone on the team does a half lap sprint basically.

Presumably brakes gotta come off the bike?
    What time do they normally finish up at?

Presumably brakes gotta come off the bike?
    What time do they normally finish up at?

Yep, though you can rent a track bike from them for about a fiver (I do, and it's easier than takin my brakes off and flipping the wheel over to fixed.

Was over 8.30ish I think last week. Basically, it's as the light begins to go

Also, my cap has 'TinyExplosions' on it -should have thought of that one first!

Um, that was hard.

Um, that was hard.

So, you had fun?

• Advertisement

It was great craic really :D Managed to come fourth in the Kilo, just couldn't hold on for the last 200m after leading from the front...

I think El_Tonto wasa a lil suprised at it all, but did well for his first time out -he didn't come last!

So, you had fun?

Kinda. But I sucked big time and was near the rear of the field on all my races. I've realised that there's going to be a bit of a learning curve and I'll need to train for this a bit more.

I found myself letting gaps open and I wasn't very good at closing them. I think I'm just not used to spinning up at those kinds of cadences and found myself gasping after a bit and eventually going off the back.

All the time I wanted a bigger gear, but in reality that may not be the quick fix it seems. From chatting to people there I get the impression that you've just got to train yourself to spin fast in lower gears because otherwise your legs will go too soon.

Still, I'm glad that I just got out there and got the first few races under my belt.

TinyExplosions did very well. Made a great break in the 1km dash and was off the front for ages. I thought he was going to go all the way but they caught him near the end.

damn fixie junkies.... they've got an unfair advantage over 'normal' folk.... :)

el tonto, i didnt see you there. i did say hi to tinyexplosions tho. true, it was great craic alright. i surprised myself coming 2nd in the 5km B race and 3rd in the 4.5km race with the A's. i've never been on a fixe before.

tiny, i noticed last night that you always went too early. you've plenty of strenght, you just need to settle down a bit.

tonto, maybe you're in one of these images? thats me in the green jersey.

2512800907_77a3eaa64e.jpg?v=0

2512800913_5d8f860c2b.jpg?v=0

i surprised myself coming 2nd in the 5km B race and 3rd in the 4.5km race with the A's. i've never been on a fixe before.

Well done man!

I didn't realise that was you. Great performance there ba.

tiny, i noticed last night that you always went too early. you've plenty of strenght, you just need to settle down a bit.

Yup, always a lap too soon for me I'm afraid... I'm just not all that happy sitting back in the bunch, as I always feel like I won't be able to get the burst on -if I can get the endurance up for 1 more lap at a top speed I'll be flying!

and el_tonto was the one talking to me for most of the evening in an Orwell wheelers jersey.

You should have come over and chatted more, we thought it was you in the green, but my memory's crap, so we weren't sure!

I hope there's no pedestrians, dogs and cars on that cycle track :D
    Didn't realize it was outside - presumed it was inside like on the TV. ;)

Cycling ain't that popular in Ireland! Although I think an indoor track is being built in the North.

• Advertisement

It'd be nicer if it was inside, a nice 250m track with 42degree banking, instead of a 450 metre track with 20? degree banking

Advertisement