Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no access to my router.

Options
  • 21-05-2008 2:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

Ok so let me start off by saying that normally i get full speed, 54mbps. tonight i rolled over my wireless icon to notice my speeds varying constantly from 24-48.
    this is unusal it never does this.

I decided to check my router by putting in the ip address into Firefox which gives me access to the routers settings.
    the router is sweex something or other plugged into my internet connection (Magnet) and i'm running XP SP2. The problem i'm now having is that i cannot access my router. FF says its not finding it even though i am connected to that IP. What should i do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Speed could be dropping due to signal problems. (Rate Adaptation)

As for the webpage, are you going to the IP of your default gateway listed in ipconfig. Just to confirm that , that is the routers IP and as well it may use a different port than the default 80.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

@webmonkey

I got access there via the default gateway thanks for your help! i though somebody had compromised the security on it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

By the way the speed you are mentioning (54mbs) is the speed between your
    router and your your computer - the fact that it may vary from time to time should not affect your bb speed.

It might be worth checking to see if any of your neighbours have a wireless set up and changing the channel if they have.

Netstumbler will do this for you.

http://www.netstumbler.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭accensi0n

dub45 wrote: »
    By the way the speed you are mentioning (54mbs) is the speed between your
    router and your your computer - the fact that it may vary from time to time should not affect your bb speed.

It might be worth checking to see if any of your neighbours have a wireless set up and changing the channel if they have.

Netstumbler will do this for you.

http://www.netstumbler.com/

If there is another wireless network bleeding its signals into your network, move the channel about 5 away. If neighbours network uses channel 6, use channel 11 etc.

And as Dub45 said, the speed of the connection between you computer and wireless router won't have much bearing on your internet activity.

If it say drops to 5.5, your internet connection will still be a good bit below that.

Advertisement