Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance!!

Options
  • 21-05-2008 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi, I was banned because i was caught drink driving..stupid i know!
    But I am now trying to get insured to start driving again but no one will seem to insure me because of my record.
    Im a 19 yr old male with a provisional license im only trying to get insured on a 1.3 engine size car and really didnt think it would be such a problem!
    does anyone know of an insurance company that could help me out?!?! please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Do St Paul's (I think) still take on high-risk drivers? You'll have go through a broker to get them, though and it won't be cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

blastman wrote: »
    Do St Paul's (I think) still take on high-risk drivers? You'll have go through a broker to get them, though and it won't be cheap.

+1

st pauls do high risk or previously banned drivers, but as said you need to go through a broker and you'll need to dig deep in your pockets to pay for your mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gabycarausan

Maybe you should try to get insured on somebody's policy as a name driver. They will accept you. Not sure about the price, could be high. Few years ago axa charged me 10 000 punts (not euro) for a 1.3 corolla

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 C2008FC

Seen an ad last week that AXA are willing to quote any one no matter what their previous record, might be worth while giving them a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

. Few years ago axa charged me 10 000 punts (not euro) for a 1.3 corolla

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I know of some one that was banned and they got insurance with some company that insures ex cons, no idea the name or anything but the price was reasonable enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

Maybe you should try to get insured on somebody's policy as a name driver. They will accept you. Not sure about the price, could be high. Few years ago axa charged me 10 000 punts (not euro) for a 1.3 corolla

I think in this case thats not the best idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DaveyGem

C2008FC wrote: »
    Seen an ad last week that AXA are willing to quote any one no matter what their previous record, might be worth while giving them a shout.

19 prv licence high risk as it is...tbh

Factor in the history expect a 100% loading.....no bullsh*t

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

colm_mcm wrote: »

In the FAQ they specifically mention excluding convicted drivers and that they target drivers over 25 and those in mid -> high value cars. If your car is worth less than 5k (or 10k if over 10 yrs old) they won't cover you either.

I know it sucks but the crime of drunk driving on a provisional is a serious one and the punishment - as you are finding out - is a lot longer than just the ban. As a 19 yr old prov driver you are in the highest risk category anyway, adding in the fact that you have a proven record of irresponsible driving and you can understand why no-one will touch you.

Unsympathetic as this sounds you may be forced to suck up the pain and spend your money on driving lessons, get the full licence under your belt and try again then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

In the FAQ they specifically mention excluding convicted drivers and that they target drivers over 25 and those in mid -> high value cars. If your car is worth less than 5k (or 10k if over 10 yrs old) they won't cover you either.

I know it sucks but the crime of drunk driving on a provisional is a serious one and the punishment - as you are finding out - is a lot longer than just the ban. As a 19 yr old prov driver you are in the highest risk category anyway, adding in the fact that you have a proven record of irresponsible driving and you can understand why no-one will touch you.

Unsympathetic as this sounds you may be forced to suck up the pain and spend your money on driving lessons, get the full licence under your belt and try again then.

+1

Your best bet is to try and get you're full license. you'll have to fork out the cash for driving lessons though. bit of a pain, but its you're best option. And even then drink driving is like a bad rash you'll never get rid of it, and you are going to be penalized for it for a long time.

On the upside the waiting list for driving tests has gone down significantly in the last few months you wont have to wait long.

But expect to dig deep in you pocket. it would probably be cheaper for you to get taxis for the next few years

Advertisement