Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will this router work for me?

Options
  • 20-05-2008 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Ok my ISP is MAGNET and ive been presented with a RJ45 connection which i have just been using a long ethernet cable for the internet access.

I want to setup a wireless network and i have this wireless router can i use this?

D-Link DKT-710 802.11g ADSL2+ 54Mbps Wireless Kit

It has a different ADSL filter terminating in a RJ11 connector i think. Ive seen some info on this stuff in the sticky on this forum but can some one give me a straight awnser if this setup will work for me with this router?

Any help greatly appreciated!

If it wont work can someone post up a link to one that will or at least give me a name or something!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

blainj2 wrote: »
    Ok my ISP is MAGNET and ive been presented with a RJ45 connection which i have just been using a long ethernet cable for the internet access.

I want to setup a wireless network and i have this wireless router can i use this?

It has a different ADSL filter terminating in a RJ11 connector i think. Ive seen some info on this stuff in the sticky on this forum but can some one give me a straight awnser if this setup will work for me with this router?

If it wont work can someone post up a link to one that will or at least give me a name or something!

That includes an integrated ADSL2 modem which I suspect you already have. You can get wireless routers without the extra cost of the integrated modem. Otherwise on it's own it'll work fine for ADSL2 and wireless access.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Yes it should be just a matter of putting in your magnet user name and password to get things going. Then set up your wireless network as per the dlink instructions. did the dlink come with a manual - if not you can probably download it from the site or check the cd that came with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭blainj2

dub45 wrote: »
    Yes it should be just a matter of putting in your magnet user name and password to get things going. Then set up your wireless network as per the dlink instructions. did the dlink come with a manual - if not you can probably download it from the site or check the cd that came with it.

Ive got the cd and everything but it has this stupid adsl filter doesnt have a RJ45 or RJ11 connection see link below.

http://www.spyequipmentuk.co.uk/images/large/PST06.jpg

I might be missing something obvious here!
    Thanks for the help!

Ive got the cd and everything but it has this stupid adsl filter doesnt have a RJ45 or RJ11 connection see link below.

http://www.spyequipmentuk.co.uk/images/large/PST06.jpg

I might be missing something obvious here!
    Thanks for the help!

You just need to get your hands on an irish version.

http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=112632

Does your existing modem not have one? I am presuming that you have a dsl conection with magnet or are you in a block of apartments or something?

You just need to get your hands on an irish version.

http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=112632

Does your existing modem not have one? I am presuming that you have a dsl conection with magnet or are you in a block of apartments or something?

Yeah im in a new block of apartments!! Only RJ45 connections in all the rooms. Is that link you posted above for an RJ45 to RJ11 connection. I think this is what i need and then it should work?

Does this point from the sticky not apply to th erouter i have then?

6) Can I use my DSL wireless router that I got from Eircom/BT/Smart on my NTL connection?

"Short answer: No, as the NTL cable modem has a RJ-45 output, while a DSL wireless router only has RJ-11 WAN input.

Longer answer: If the DSL wireless router actually works as a "hub" rather than a switch, it might work. (A hub blindly shares all traffic, regardess of IP address, across all "ports". A switch should only direct traffic to a specific port). If you disable the DHCP server on the DSL router, then a wired client should be able to get a DHCP response from the Cable modem if both the PC and the modem are plugged into LAN ports. And if it works for a wired client, it might work for a wireless client. But it'll only support a single computer - you won't be able to connect two machines to the ADSL router and have them both get on the NTL connection. (Thanks to Foxwood)

And often the complex nature of the setup means most users fail to get it working. So it's usually better to get a router with a ethernet (RJ-45) wan port such as the Linksys WRT54GL, DLink Di-524 or Netgear WGR614."

• Advertisement

Yeah im in a new block of apartments!! Only RJ45 connections in all the rooms. Is that link you posted above for an RJ45 to RJ11 connection. I think this is what i need and then it should work?

Does this point from the sticky not apply to th erouter i have then?

6) Can I use my DSL wireless router that I got from Eircom/BT/Smart on my NTL connection?

"Short answer: No, as the NTL cable modem has a RJ-45 output, while a DSL wireless router only has RJ-11 WAN input.

Longer answer: If the DSL wireless router actually works as a "hub" rather than a switch, it might work. (A hub blindly shares all traffic, regardess of IP address, across all "ports". A switch should only direct traffic to a specific port). If you disable the DHCP server on the DSL router, then a wired client should be able to get a DHCP response from the Cable modem if both the PC and the modem are plugged into LAN ports. And if it works for a wired client, it might work for a wireless client. But it'll only support a single computer - you won't be able to connect two machines to the ADSL router and have them both get on the NTL connection. (Thanks to Foxwood)

And often the complex nature of the setup means most users fail to get it working. So it's usually better to get a router with a ethernet (RJ-45) wan port such as the Linksys WRT54GL, DLink Di-524 or Netgear WGR614."

ok in simple terms the dlink is for use with bb over telephone wires. It contains a modem and a wireless router.

You need a wireless router which will take the basic signal coming into the apartment and share it out wirelessly or by ethernet cable. such routers as are mentioned in your quote above do not have the complication of a built in integrated wireless modem. So you dont need a dsl filter. Just as a matter of interest have you asked Magent if they recommend any particular wireless router? They probably wont but worth a try anyways.

ok in simple terms the dlink is for use with bb over telephone wires. It contains a modem and a router.

Ok that didnt really help me! I understand what you have said above so ya can leave out the laymans terms if you want. What i need to know now is the two question i posted up previously.

Is the link you posted up of a RJ45 to RJ11 filter and if i get this should i be able to set it up without any other problems!

ok in simple terms the dlink is for use with bb over telephone wires. It contains a modem and a wireless router.

You need a wireless router which will take the basic signal coming into the apartment and share it out wirelessly or by ethernet cable. such routers as are mentioned in your quote above do not have the complication of a built in integrated wireless modem. So you dont need a dsl filter. Just as a matter of interest have you asked Magent if they recommend any particular wireless router? They probably wont but worth a try anyways.

Ok now we are getting somewhere, i agree with you here as all i need is something to share the signal coming into the apartment and something to take the signal from the laptops and pass it into the RJ45 port. Does my D-link have a built in modem that will confuse things or can i just get the correct connector (RJ45 to RJ11 for the wall to the router) and it will work? I knew this wouldn't be one of them plug and plag situations!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Ok now we are getting somewhere, i agree with you here as all i need is something to share the signal coming into the apartment and something to take the signal from the laptops and pass it into the RJ45 port. Does my D-link have a built in modem that will confuse things or can i just get the correct connector (RJ45 to RJ11 for the wall to the router) and it will work? I knew this wouldn't be one of them plug and plag situations!!

Then go for router with no modem such as the Linksys WRT54G. This has an RJ45 WAN port so it's just a single cable from that to the RJ45 connector on the wallplate.

Yes your dlink has a modem to best to forget about the dlink (sell it so that it will stop confusing you!!!)

You dont need anything to take the signal from the laptops. You just need an ethernet (rj45) cable from the wall to the 'new' router - thats the basis for your network from now on. Your laptops will then be able to connect wirelessly to the 'new' router.

• Advertisement

Spear wrote: »
    Then go for router with no modem such as the Linksys WRT54G. This has an RJ45 WAN port so it's just a single cable from that to the RJ45 connector on the wallplate.

Well for people that have money that grows on trees that is grand but my op asked if i could use this router for a wireless connection. If this is not possible then just say so and ill get rid if this on and get the one you have suggusted.

Yes your dlink has a modem to best to forget about the dlink (sell it so that it will stop confusing you!!!)

You dont need anything to take the signal from the laptops. You just need an ethernet (rj45) cable from the wall to the 'new' router - thats the basis for your network from now on. Your laptops will then be able to connect wirelessly to the 'new' router.

Ok can i get a straight answer from you as you seem to be actually trying to help me which is much appreciated by the way.

1. Can my router work for a wireless network in my situation? (Note i dont mean that you think im a donkey and dont understand how to set it up properly, i mean is it possible)

2. If it can work in my situation do you think it is worth the effort trying to get it working or do you thing i shoult go to the effort of getting a differnt router?

Well for people that have money that grows on trees that is grand but my op asked if i could use this router for a wireless connection. If this is not possible then just say so and ill get rid if this on and get the one you have suggusted.

Thats exactly what you are being told but refuse to take on board. the forum is about tech stuff - whether you think can afford the suggestions is a matter for your good self.

We have had to tease out your basic set up at length - you have had helpful suggestions what more can people do for you?

OK i think this is the main poin i needed to get across and i said this in the op, if not then let me know why?
    Thats exactly what you are being told but refuse to take on board. the forum is about tech stuff - whether you think can afford the suggestions is a matter for your good self.

Agreed on the money issue but i really just what a definative YES or NO which both you guy seem to be reluctant to give. I dont want to annoy you guys anymore bye saying this but this is true!

Once again i thank your patience and help.

OK i think this is the main poin i needed to get across and i said this in the op, if not then let me know why?

Agreed on the money issue but i really just what a definative YES or NO which both you guy seem to be reluctant to give. I dont want to annoy you guys anymore bye saying this but this is true!

Once again i thank your patience and help.

Then no, you can't. That router still has an integrated ADSL modem as it's WAN connection which is no good to you.

You need to remember that the source of the confusion was you not being able to tell us how your net connection is provided.

Spear wrote: »
    Then no, you can't. That router still has an integrated ADSL modem as it's WAN connection which is no good to you.

You need to remember that the source of the confusion was you not being able to tell us how your net connection is provided.

Ok i understand this now ;). Anyway we got there in the end no thanks to myself so thanks for the answer ill have to get rid of this piece of **** and get another one!

Now lets do a lettle dance and celebreate!
    butt-wiggle-dance.gif

I no this gets annoying after about 5 seconds but i think its is necessary after that long slog for an straight forward answer!!!

Also this is the longest thread this forum has seen ever :eek: so hopefully this will cause more people to post up here with annoying questions like mine!

Only messin thanks for the help once agiain! And imagine my oficial job title is Telecoms Engineer but i love getting the definative answer from the "experts"

Advertisement