Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Question

Options
  • 20-05-2008 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

So, for the first time in my life (I'm 26) I have dog. A one year old Staffie; Bruce. Now, my question is really about activities with him. Do these types of dogs need to be amused 24/7 or are they ok to be left to their own devices? I of course do play with him and take him for walks, and he also enjoys a good long nap. Between herself and I, our dog gets plenty of attention and is never left alone.

Thanks for the help!

Pic for anyone who's interested

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

Hey, Bruce is absolutely gorgeous, I'm very fond on Staffies. They would be IMO one of the higher maintenance dogs, who will take any amount of exercise thats given to them. At the tender age of one I would recommend that you include him in as many activities as possible, does he like to swim for instance? Bring him to lots of new places and let him run the legs off himself. Would you be interested in trying agility or training classes for him? They would be very beneficial, if only to keep his mind and body occupied, dogs like that love to have a job to do. Its great that you are taking an interest in him beyond the usual walking + playing. These are tough little dogs and his potential level of agility might really surprise you! They usually, from what I'm told, don't do well if left to their own devices (I know of one personally that tore the fireplace out of the sitting room wall because she was bored :eek:).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Dogs in general are fairly adaptable. You can get them so lazy that you have to carry them outside to do their business or wind them up so that they are like on speed ...neither of which is healthy.

The trick is to find a healthy mix that works for both of you. The usual morning and evening "constitutional", spiced up with some training excercises at home and during the walk and when you have more time/opportunity the occasional adventure (swimming, the forest, running with other dogs) is what works for most people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

great pic of bruce.
    Brinkle colours works wonder for this type of breed.
    As for peasant and Ruby Soho are right what they quoted.
    Work hard with bruce and ye will get the great benifit out of bruce.
    And yes imo Staffies are lovely dogs to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭helios

Thanks for all the suggestions. It's funny that swimming was mentioned... Bruce is absolutely *petrified* of water. We took him to the beach one day, and nearly died laughing that he was running away from the tide. Any suggestions on how to aclimatize him to swimming? I doubt any local pool would let us bring him in :(

Advertisement