Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chlorine free pool in dublin

Options
  • 20-05-2008 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Any one know of a pool in South Dublin which uses an alternative to chlorine for sanitising water? Having problems with kids swimming lessons because of Chlorine sensitivity:eek:.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

TCD's pool's chlorine free, but a tad expensive for just taking the kids swimming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Catherine Daly

is it open to the public?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Just looked at www.tcd.ie/sports there and membership seems to be closed to the public at the moment. It was a while ago iirc though. That's a shame. Dunno any others that're chlorine free.

this might be worth a look though.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

I'm a member of Sanovitae in the Clarion Hotel Liffey Valley and I've been told the pool is chlorine free and oxygenated......... you could check it out, not sure myself how true it is but I swim regularly and never smell chlorine in the pool.
    Carol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Out of curiosity, what are the alternatives to using chlorine?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what are the alternatives to using chlorine?

I think ozone & ultraviolet are the main alternatives

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swimming_pool_sanitation#Prevention_of_diseases_in_swimming_pools_and_spas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

Is swimming in Chlorine regularly really that bad - never thought about it much until reading a few threads here.

What are the risks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Money Shot wrote: »
    Is swimming in Chlorine regularly really that bad - never thought about it much until reading a few threads here.

What are the risks ?

If the pool is well maintained and the water treatment monitored, then the journey to the pool is statistically riskier (that includes slippy tiles and traffic)

Risks from chlorine arise from allergies which are pretty rare, and usually not damaging in the long term, more of an irritation. Or from high concentrations of chlorine gas or in powder form, However, most pools will have enough chemicals to make a nice bang in the back somewhere if they are mixed !!!

Once it is in solution in the water, In recommended doses (1.5-2.5 ppm) its harmless. Wouldn't recommend drinking 2 litres of it a day, but it'll do your skin less harm than not washing once a day !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭bananamansgay

i know the pool in the westwoon sandymount is salt water... not sure if its chlorine free though.

Advertisement