Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting To Judaism

Options
  • 20-05-2008 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

I am in my late 20's and was raised in a catholic household. Over the last few years my faith has wained to the point where a lot of my beliefs, I have begun to seriously question.

I have been considering this for a while and have decided that I wish to convert from catholicism to judaism and was wondering if anyone who might have been through the process or is familiar with it might offer some advice. I have been doing some research and I know that it is a difficult path to convert. Any advice would be appreciated :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭hiorta

It might be advantageous to wait, try to meditate to see if you can find out the cause of your discontent.

It may be in the Spiritual side of your nature, the intellectual unfulfillment that being taught to believe something that doesn't - or no longer - sits well with you, leaving loose strands blowing in the breeze.

All 'book' religions are the same in this respect, though.

If your spiritual gap lies in this direction, perhaps considering investigating some form of Budhism might provide temporary answers.

Firm answers will remain firm for a wee while, until you outgrow them - this seems always to be the case.

It may be of little help, but all you require is already within you, as is 'the kingdom of heaven' - the spiritual worlds - and your needs are already known.

Good luck in your soul search, all roads eventually lead to the same place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

hiorta wrote: »
    It might be advantageous to wait,
    Given how long converting to Judaism takes, there'll be plenty of that in any case.
    hiorta wrote: »
    try to meditate to see if you can find out the cause of your discontent.
    And a Rabbi is going to make them think hard on it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dryroasted

Faith isnt about religion, faith is about what is inside. We are all one source energy and you will find the answers when you connext back into the source. Religion in my opinion is benign. I was once a catholic, christianity did not give me the answers that I needed or allowed me to feel connected with my higher self. And I have come across some very spiritual catholic priests but they are bound by the beaurocracy within the hierachy of the church, where in effect the church is the parishioners and the believers.

There are numerous messages in the Bible where Jesus Christ explains that faith and God is within us not outside us. Christianity is not being taught the way it was intended. The catholic church is not guilty alone. I have several Jewish friends and yes again there is plenty of disconnectedness from the truth. If you side step Judaism and look at the Kabbalah teachings namely the tree of life you may feel a spiritual connection. In Ireland the Jewish community is small and has dwindled since the 1940's due to emmigration, the catholic church and anti-semitism. Why dont you go to your local Synagogue and talk with the Rabbi, make some Jewish friends, see if you can get invited to a Shabbat. There is no right or wrong when you are on a spiritual journey but you must follow and trust your heart to find the answers. Human's are fallable, be still and listen for the answers lie within.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SaintJake

I suggest you go speak to the Rabbi of the synagouge in Dublin. It's on Rathfarnham Road in Dublin 6. If there's anything specific you want to know about Judaism you can pm me.

Other places: http://www.jewishireland.org/kosher_life.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Why switch to Judaism? There both based on the same principles, if Catholicism can't fulfill your needs what makes you think the religion it split from will?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I am in my late 20's and was raised in a catholic household. Over the last few years my faith has wained to the point where a lot of my beliefs, I have begun to seriously question.

I have been considering this for a while and have decided that I wish to convert from catholicism to judaism and was wondering if anyone who might have been through the process or is familiar with it might offer some advice. I have been doing some research and I know that it is a difficult path to convert. Any advice would be appreciated :confused:

Are you sure that you no longer believe in the New Testament Gospels and Jesus? I would suggest that you look to Messianic Judaism. They hold Torah laws, and yet believe in Yeshua ben Nazerat (Jesus of Nazareth) as the Jewish Messiah.

Advertisement