Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can You legally buy......

Options
  • 20-05-2008 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

Am just curious well very interested to know if you can legally buy a gun in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭RedXIV

If you get a license, yes

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I suppose you could always try the shooting forums? It seems to have a For Sale / Wanted section, so I'll tentatively answer yes.:)

There's probably some form of licensing required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Yes, you can; but not like a packet of corn flakes. You require a firearms licence from your local Garda Superintendent, which is granted only if you meet certain prerequisites - namely that you have a good reason for wanting one, that you can be given one without endangering the public safety and that you're not one of the people not allowed ask for one (ie, those under 16, those with a criminal record in the past 5 years, people who are mentally unbalanced, and there are a few others as well). Other preconditions may be imposed as well, the most likely of which is that you have secure storage for the firearm (this is due to become a mandatory prerequisite in law shortly). The shooting forum has more details in various threads, as do the relevant Biki pages.

Also, if you're buying from a local dealer, the procedure is that you pick out what you want, he takes a deposit and gives you a serial number, you go to your local Gardai and fill out the application form (for which you need the serial number), and when the licence is granted, you go back to the dealer with it and pay him the balance and he gives you the firearm.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

(Mind you, the single best bit of advice I could give you would be to join the local target shooting club, learn to shoot there and see if you like it before buying kit - even the cheapest decent pistol will set you back several hundred euro)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Dead easy to get a Licence as long as you don't have a record for criminal offences or the been in trouble with the Gardai, get 3 farmers with land to sign form saying they give you permission to shoot their land for vermon or join a gun club plenty of them in Carlow.

There is also a new gun shop in Tullow, haven't been in yet but hear its good, still keep meaning to get my licence sorted but can't decide between .22 or pump action shotgun. Rifle is what I want but the area around is quite flat with little back drops so I'd probably end up not been able to take the shot more times than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Ah ok deadly I will check around Tullow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

RealistSpy wrote: »
    Ah ok deadly I will check around Tullow.

took awhile but I finally found it....

http://davidr217.bebo.com

That's the gun shops guys bebo page

David Rooney

Advertisement