Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do about an insulting raise?

Options
  • 20-05-2008 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I've worked for a company for 14 months now and i've consistently been the top performer on my team, been given awards and sent to the US to the company HQ for a few weeks.

We did our yearly appraisals recently and were told we would be getting a raise. After this was put back five (yes, five) times, finally I found out my raise. 6.4%. I was seething - the cost of living in Ireland has gone up by around 6% in the past year!

I checked with a colleague who I know didn't do as well as me in our appraisal (he showed me the report), and he got the exact same raise as me.

I don't know what i'm more p*ssed off about, the paltry raise or the fact that even though i've been recognised as the best on my team, I got the same rise as someone who didn't perform to the same standard!

Any advice on how I should approach this? I've never had a problem with raises before and generally they have been 10% at least, every year.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Op most companies this year have been giving out pay rises less than previous years.

You could say that you feel undervalued but that you are aware of the current economic situation in the global economy etc... Maybe you could ask for them to sit down again with you in 6 months for another review??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Seething at 6.4%? You don't know how good you have it. In many companies this would be very much at the top end for a pay review. How would you feel if you know everyone else had gotten a 4% raise and you got the 6.4%?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

eoin_s wrote: »
    Seething at 6.4%? You don't know how good you have it. In many companies this would be very much at the top end for a pay review. How would you feel if you know everyone else had gotten a 4% raise and you got the 6.4%?

Big time. Normally raises are around the 4% mark.

Insulted: is this your first job?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

dublindude wrote: »
    Big time. Normally raises are around the 4% mark.

Insulted: is this your first job?

It's not. In every other job he got 10% per year.

OP how long would you expect a 10% per year pay rise to keep happening for? Every job has it's upper limits of pay. You may be doing a great job but if you're at the top of your bracket you're not going to keep on getting big pay rises every year. How much profit did your company make this year? How much money did you make in bonuses?
    If you're near the top of your bracket you either live with it or get promoted or move to a different company. If you're not near the top and you think you're undervalued then look elsewhere. Then if you get an offer you can play one company against another. If you're worth it, you'll get a raise.

When you say the other guy got the same raise as you did you mean monetary value or %. If he got 6.4% too it might be 6.4% of a lower number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Sorry, I meant "real" job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

6.4% is best Ive heard of this year - worst was 1%
    options
    1. Deal with it
    2. Leave
    3. Rant about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I would think that something like 0.5% would be insulting, well maybe insulting wouldn't be the right word for it. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Simplicity

I think this thread is lol.

Some people have never worked in difficult economies. In saying that if your firm is doing well then it is deemed you should get some reward but if it is not doing well then it seems that no pay rises are the norm. Some companies have even instigated pay reductions.

6+ % is rather good tbh. This year I had to give staff 0. All bar one understood the companies situation. Sadly one felt we should be maintaining his lifestyle like we are responsible for inflation. I just pointed to the door and said feel free to get a job elsewhere.

The reality is you don't have to work there. Go work somewhere else if you are finding that you are that hard done by.

Advertisement