Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting Property while travelling

Options
  • 20-05-2008 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi,

I have an apartment at the moment which is my home residence and I'm getting mortgage relief on. I'm thinking of going travelling in the coming months and am looking to rent out the apartment but this raise a few questions if I rent out the apartment.
    1. Do I have to stop claiming Mortgage relief on this becasue I will no longer be living there??
    2.What if the person I'm renting to wants to claim rent relief on it can they claim this?
    3. Therefore is it possible to claim mortgage relif and rent relief on the same property?
    4. How do I go about canceling mortgage relief payments i this is necessary?
    5. The apartment is 3 years old, therefore with the new budget does clawback tax apply to me?

thanking you in advance,

JR.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

1. Do I have to stop claiming Mortgage relief on this becasue I will no longer be living there??

I believe so. I also think there could be a stamp duty clawback if you benefitted from the first time buyer rate and purchased less than 5 years ago. Also you will have to register with the private residential tenancies board and there a lot of other tax and regulatory implications. You should speak to the revenue, an accountant or a property leasing company to get a better idea.
    2.What if the person I'm renting to wants to claim rent relief on it can they claim this?

Probably, but it shouldn't make any difference to you if you intend to lease it legally and in compliance with all the regulations.
    3. Therefore is it possible to claim mortgage relif and rent relief on the same property?

I suppose under the rent a room scheme it is, and also under the statutory schemes such as section 23 or section 50. But in normal circumstances I don't think so.

Speak to the revenue commissioners.
    5. The apartment is 3 years old, therefore with the new budget does clawback tax apply to me?

I think so.

For better answers, contact the revenue commissioners. By and large they are very friendly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Yes, you have to stop. Its done at source. You need to contact your mortgage providor and also the revenue commissioners to sort this out. Note: your mortgage rate may rise- as investment properties are viewed by lenders as a much greater risk than owner occuppied properties.

There is nothing whatsoever you can do to stop them. They can even claim relief retrospectively up to 4 years later. Make sure you do this above board- and then you'll have nothing whatsoever to worry about.

As Johnny above says- there are specific circumstances where it is possible. In your case its unlikely however (I don't know enough information to comment specifically).

Contact the Revenue Commissioners.

Confirm with the Revenue Commissioners. Its my understanding that the 5 year rule was reduced to 2 years from last December for everyone- not just people going forward- but confirm this.

Note: You will have to make a tax return declaring the income- but you will have a number of allowable expenses to deduct from the rental income before determination of your taxable income- including the entirety of the mortgage interest payments (which should cover the vast bulk of the income). Its tedious- but you will have to make sure all the paperwork is in order.

Advertisement