Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

loose spoke

Options
  • 20-05-2008 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I noticed a couple of spokes on my front wheel were loose recently, so I tightened them both up. One of them keeps coming loose, i'm tightening it every day now.

I've never adjusted spokes before, so I'm wary of tightening it too much, but am I just not tightening it enough? I've been adjusting it so it's as tight as the neighbouring spokes. Maybe theres an underlying problem with my wheel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I noticed a couple of spokes on my front wheel were loose recently, so I tightened them both up. One of them keeps coming loose, i'm tightening it every day now.

I've never adjusted spokes before, so I'm wary of tightening it too much, but am I just not tightening it enough? I've been adjusting it so it's as tight as the neighbouring spokes. Maybe theres an underlying problem with my wheel?

use a bit of threadlock, you have to have the spoke in equal tension, but keeping the wheel straight, what are you tightening the spokes with?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 frenchie091

kona wrote: »
    use a bit of threadlock, you have to have the spoke in equal tension, but keeping the wheel straight, what are you tightening the spokes with?

I'm tightening them with a spoke key. Won't using threadlock make it difficult if the wheel needs to be retrued some time in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I'm tightening them with a spoke key. Won't using threadlock make it difficult if the wheel needs to be retrued some time in the future?

i use it, you should be okay, provided it aint a cheap wheel with nipples of butter(:D:D:D:eek:)

are you sure its the same spoke loosening?? can be quite hard to tell unless its on a sticker or somthing!!

are they new wheels??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Thread lock won't sieze a thread so I would have no probs using it on spokes. If your spokes continue to come loose it could be down to stripped threads either in the nipple or on the spoke itself. Old spoke nipples were made of brass which would strip if over tightened or it there was not enough thread gripping it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Freddy687

Have you check the rim for damage / small cracks. could be that the tension is being comprimised when you use it thus allowing the spoke to loosen.
    I would strongly suggest getting the wheel trued by a bike shop.
    Having broken 4 spokes in the last 4 weeks, 3 on the back and 1 on the front I understand your frustration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 frenchie091

It's a pretty new wheel, a few months old. I think it may need to be trued, must have hit some potholes too hard.

thanks for the tips.
    jn.

Advertisement