Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening my site in VS 2005

Options
  • 20-05-2008 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭

I have a website that I created in ASP.NET 2.0.
    When I make changes to it I open it from logging in to my hosting company (register365) and going to "File Manager".
    I am sure you are all familiar with this. The only problem is that when I open a page for editing (say an aspx page) it is not colour-coded and the indentation is all messed up.
    It is confusing sometimes to see what is going on.
    Is it possible to open this site in Visual Studio and edit it the same way as I do in "File Manager"?
    That way it would be much easier to work on the code.
    I tried doing it by selecting "File-Open-Web Site" in VS and selecting "Remote Site" but this only works for sites "Configured with FrontPage Server Extensions" (I checked the box that says "Connect using SSL").
    Any replies appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭lukin

forbairt wrote: »

Yikes!Sorry forbairt, I'll have a look at them links later, I am in a rush now..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The very quickest way? Copy and paste the code from the window into VS, edit and copy it back in. The indentation is probably fine, but it's probably wrapping the text.

Alternatively, VS allows the option to open a website through FTP - could that be an option?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Bad idea even if it can be done. Create a local copy of the site on your machine and just copy up any changes when you know it works.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

musician wrote: »
    Bad idea even if it can be done. Create a local copy of the site on your machine and just copy up any changes when you know it works.

Ideally yes, but it could be a very minor HTML change.

• Advertisement

The reason I ask is because I ran into a problem with my site where I had the exact same code in VS as I had on the live version and it caused an error on the live one but worked fine in the VS version.
    I was calling back-end C# code from Javascript (AJAX stuff).
    The javascript was supposed to go into the C# code to connect to a database.
    The C# was in the page load event. I didn't know if it was going into the C# code in the live one.
    It was easy to tell in VS as I could set a breakpoint in the code but I couldn't do that in the live version obviously.
    So in both versions I put a message box in the page load event to see if it popped up. I VS;yes, no problem. In the live one, nothing happened, it just did nothing basically.

It opens in VS alright but it's taking ages. It did it fast enough the first time but every time since then has been dog slow.
    There's a lot of pages there, CSS, C#, javascript etc but I don't know why it's taking so long.
    It's not that I have a slow internet connection that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

So do you have Vs 2005 installed on the server where the site is? Not sure what the colour coding problem is but I suspect its because you are logged in remotely (remote terminal?)

Opening as a web site only works if Frontpage extensions are installed. You could talk to your hosting company whether its available or not. This would allow you to open remotely (without loggin in), changing whatever and rebuilding.
    lukin wrote: »
    I have a website that I created in ASP.NET 2.0.
    When I make changes to it I open it from logging in to my hosting company (register365) and going to "File Manager".
    I am sure you are all familiar with this. The only problem is that when I open a page for editing (say an aspx page) it is not colour-coded and the indentation is all messed up.
    It is confusing sometimes to see what is going on.
    Is it possible to open this site in Visual Studio and edit it the same way as I do in "File Manager"?
    That way it would be much easier to work on the code.
    I tried doing it by selecting "File-Open-Web Site" in VS and selecting "Remote Site" but this only works for sites "Configured with FrontPage Server Extensions" (I checked the box that says "Connect using SSL").
    Any replies appreciated.

elderlemon wrote: »
    So do you have Vs 2005 installed on the server where the site is? Not sure what the colour coding problem is but I suspect its because you are logged in remotely (remote terminal?)
    It's register365 I am with. They have support for ASP 2.0 which is what the site is created with, I don't know if they have VS installed on their server.
    I am at present modifying the site from the control panel of my hosting company. That's why there is no colour coding as the pages just open in a simple text editor.
    Opening as a web site only works if Frontpage extensions are installed. You could talk to your hosting company whether its available or not. This would allow you to open remotely (without loggin in), changing whatever and rebuilding.

Frontpage is enabled for the site but now I can't even connect to it.

FPE may be installed but you have to create your web site within FPE - that makes it available to open remotely via http. Do you have access to Internet services panel?
    It's register365 I am with. They have support for ASP 2.0 which is what the site is created with, I don't know if they have VS installed on their server.
    I am at present modifying the site from the control panel of my hosting company. That's why there is no colour coding as the pages just open in a simple text editor.

Frontpage is enabled for the site but now I can't even connect to it.

• Advertisement

FPE may be installed but you have to create your web site within FPE - that makes it available to open remotely via http. Do you have access to Internet services panel?

The site wasn't created in Front Page, I don't have anything in the control panel called Internet services.

Don't confuse Frontpage with Frontpage extensions. They are completely different. FPE (frontpage extenstions) allows you to serve up any asp.net site to a remote VS003/2005 user over http. All you have to do is go into the internet information services (which you don't have access to) and add your existing web site in to fpe. You can then open your web site using vs2005 over your standard http connection (username and password obviously needed), edit, debug, rebuild etc.

You need to talk to your hosting company and get them to enable access. Also think about whether you want to be building/rebuilding your live web site. Better practise is to work on a copy of your live, rebuild and then xcopy over to the live one. That means you will have little or no disruption of your users on your live site.
    The site wasn't created in Front Page, I don't have anything in the control panel called Internet services.

Don't confuse Frontpage with Frontpage extensions. They are completely different. FPE (frontpage extenstions) allows you to serve up any asp.net site to a remote VS003/2005 user over http. All you have to do is go into the internet information services (which you don't have access to) and add your existing web site in to fpe. You can then open your web site using vs2005 over your standard http connection (username and password obviously needed), edit, debug, rebuild etc.

You need to talk to your hosting company and get them to enable access. Also think about whether you want to be building/rebuilding your live web site. Better practise is to work on a copy of your live, rebuild and then xcopy over to the live one. That means you will have little or no disruption of your users on your live site.

Well I just thought it would be cool to have it that way.
    It would save me a bit of time as well as I will be calling stored procedures in the site and if I will have to set breakpoints and step through it to see if it is working.
    If I have to do it on the local machine and then copy that up to the live one it will take time. I'd prefer to just have one version;the live one.
    Sometimes I work on it on my laptop, sometimes on my desktop.
    I'd rather just have one version:the live one. It's definetley something that needs to be set by register365. I was on that live chat thing with one of their tech support guys but I don't think he knew too much about it.
    I might email theme instead.

Advertisement