Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a decent satnav for North America!

Options
  • 20-05-2008 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

I'm going to California in August on a road trip for 3 weeks. It was suggested that I should look into buying a GPS that will have the maps for North America preloaded onto already so that I would'nt waste money on renting one from the car rental company when I get over there($250 for 3 weeks)

I was looking at the Garmin Nuvi 770 model. Does this already have the maps for North America already installed on it?

I know its a little expensive but It would come in Handy for me anyways in Ireland and Europe at some stage next year.

What do ye guys think of the 770?

My main concern is that it will have the N.American maps already loaded on it as I've never driven over in the states so I'd like decent enough maps for the trip.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 wallyworld

Just came back from the US using my Garmin Nuvi 670, and it performed SUPERBLY. The 670 is comparable, more or less, with the 770. It does have US maps (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=10623).

As mentioned in another post, when I was using it in the US, the Garmin was giving me real time traffic and construction advisories (with the alternative of making a detour). It was a real life saver.

I don't have any way of comparing Garmin's US mapping with other manufacturers. However, I think it's pretty clear that for Ireland, Navteq maps are the best, and Garmin has these.

My view is that you can't go wrong with a Garmin if you need it for Ireland and the US (haven't used it outside these places).

(...and no, I have no affiliation with Garmin)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

so whats the major difference between the 670 and the 770? I want something solid for driving around las vegas and california!

ended up getting the nuvi 670 on ebay for €300

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 wallyworld

ended up getting the nuvi 670 on ebay for €300

FOAK (Great name!):

Not sure exactly what the difference is, but there is a comparison feature on the Garmin website that lets you compare different models (several of GPS vendors also allow you to compare different manufacturers' models).

In any event, I think you will be very happy with the 670. Make sure you download all system updates from the Garmin website if it hasn't been done so already.

WW

Got the Nuvi 670 today and so far its brill. I've used the 660 2 years ago and that was also a gem of a gps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭ironsight

Try Walmart

A new TOMTOM Oone V3 for about $ 140.00 with US, Canada & Guam maps preloaded

Advertisement