Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo

Options
  • 19-05-2008 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭

I have an issue with a Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo whereby it totally shuts off without any warning.

This machine had quite a few infections & was doing this powering off thing as well so I decided to wipe & do a clean install of XP Pro. All the drivers I reinstalled came from the original supplier Disc so I'm ruling out a dodgy driver as being the culprit too.

I'm also kind of ruling out an overheating cause for this & here's why, it could happen 15 minutes after I power it on or it could be 5 hours before it would happen, it actually ran for a day & a half at one stage before it decided to do the power off trick. If it were an overheating issue you would imagine it would reach that point fairly consistently?

It's a clean install with known correct drivers so it's pointing me towards a hardware issue?

It's really a bit of a bi#ch to track down.

I wonder if it could be the power supply?

Has anyone come across this type of problem? I'm open to all suggestions.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Any chance this happens when you have an external usb hdd plugged in or does it just happen randomly?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Any chance this happens when you have an external usb hdd plugged in or does it just happen randomly?

It has not got an external HDD connected & never had but now that you mention it (and I don't know if it has any bearing) but it was working fine all day & when I returned it to my mates house I had to reinstall he's printer, after the install was complete the system needed to be restarted (By the HP install program) & just as it got to the Desktop on the restart it powered off instantly. I unplugged the printer USB connection & started the machine again, this time it started fine so I re connected the printer USB cable & the printer was detected & it hasn't powered off since.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

Have you run memtest - it could be an intermittent RAM failure?

nessyguin wrote: »
    Have you run memtest - it could be an intermittent RAM failure?

No I haven't run Memtest but I have removed each of the sticks & ran with one at a time but even at that it done its trick.

The bloody thing is so random? I'm leaning on swapping out the power supply next time it does its party piece just to see.

-

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

I'm leaning on swapping out the power supply next time it does its party piece just to see.

-

If you dont have a PSU handy you could lighten the load on the current one - disconnect any optical drives , etc - to see if that helps ...

• Advertisement

This beast done its party trick again so I decided to fit a new PSU but 4 hours later it decided to power off again only to return the C:\Windows\System32\Config.cfg file is corrupt or missing on the restart.

I eventually restarted it after doing a bit of repairing using the recovery console. It powered off one more time about 20 Mins after that & gave the "Use last known good configuration" option screen on startup.

That's about 2 hours ago & it hasn't done it since.

Recap:

Wiped HDD & done a fresh install.

All drivers are known to be good.

Tried each of the two sticks of RAM individually.

Replaced PSU unit.

The only items left (that I can think of) are the Mobo & Processor & I don't have anything to replace either with.

It's a real pain at this stage because when it remains powered on it's working perfectly.

I'm afraid this PC is heading for the bin...

-

Advertisement