Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.ie Question.

Options
  • 19-05-2008 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭

I have a company lets say defg ltd. If we type www.defg.ie our competitors site comes up. Given its two ltd companies, is this legal.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭shantor

some people make a lot of money doing what you are talking about, yes I would think its legal, the only requirement to buy a .ie web domain is you have to be a registered company
    I have a company lets say defg ltd. If we type www.defg.ie our competitors site comes up. Given its two ltd companies, is this legal.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

IIRC, you cant protect your business name unless you trademark it. They got the IE domain by showing they are a registered company under that name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Tort law gives certain protection from what is called 'Passing Off'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passing_off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

tricky D wrote: »
    Tort law gives certain protection from what is called 'Passing Off'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passing_off

OP: I have been in your situation before.

If you can prove what he's doing is damaging your business' goodwill, and if you can prove he's trying to pass his business off as your business, you have a case.

Get a solicitor involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Thanks,
    The other company is trying to pass off his company as ours. This will not be the first time we have solicitors clashing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement