Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a pal for my kitten

Options
  • 19-05-2008 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I have a 7/8 month old female kitten at home at the moment and I'm looking to get her a playmate. They'll both be indoor only cats. She's starting to get very curious about the outside world and I think a friend would be great for her!

I'm not quite sure how to go about it!
    • How do I go about getting them acquainted???
    • Does the age of the other cat matter? I'm thinking I should have them around the same age but I'd love to have another tiny kitten around the place (2-3 month_
    • Do I get them separate litter trays?
    • Should I keep their beds in separate rooms till they get used to each other or just let them get on with it?
    • Am I better off having 2 girls or does it matter?

Any other tips greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks
    Orlee

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

When introducing a new cat the general advice is to do it slowly - keep them in seperate rooms at first and let them get used to each other's scent. Let them see each other at a distance for a while, and then introduce them under supervision.

You will need 3 litter trays for 2 cats (rule is one tray per cat + 1), and they should each have their own food bowl and various water bowls (although if they are like mine they will just help themselves from whatever is handiest!).

They'll probably decide themselves where they want to sleep - everywhere and anywhere most likely!!! :D

I would think another cat at the same age would be best - as they will be at the same stage of playfulness. You would probably need to supervise a lot if you get a much younger kitten as it might get a bit overwhelmed by the older one.

I think I read somewhere that neutered male/female mixes are best - not sure about that though!

The only other thing I can think of is to ensure that both cats will have space to get away from each other when they need to. Mine have hidey holes and tops of wardrobes/shelves etc they like to hide in for snooze and some peace!

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Actually keeping cats seperate when introducing them is not really as necessary as some suggest. When you bring a new cat into the house the resident cat will smell that it is there even if they are seperate and in some cases may become more stressed by the fact that they can't check them out and are possibly being kept out of an area they used to frequent.

Here is a useful page from kitten adoption site on introducing cats to one another http://kittenadoption.org/newCat.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

My two cats have always used one litter tray even when they were not very fond of each other (initially). So it really depends on the cat!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Only seeing this now, long after I'd sent you a pm:)
    Just to second what Carwash has said. Also, I've introduced tiny kittens here many a time to my lot & I've yet to see one in the slightest bit phased by an adult.
    I've 4, 9 week old kittens here that are running around with my 7, not a bother on them.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

You need to be extremely careful. The original cat can get very unsettled and you could lose that cat if not careful. We integrated 4 cats last year and one of mine moved outside. It nearly broke my heart, she would only come in through the window when I was there - and got very agressive if I tried to bring her in further. Even rooms that the other cats were not in was out of bounds for her. The other 3 cats were absolutely fine, okay maybe a hisssy fit or two, but overall they got over it.

I would keep them isolated for a couple of days. Try not to change the routine of the original cat. So, leave their littler tray in the same place etc.
    Give the second kitty the run of upstairs or something.

Afer a couple of days, take the bedding out of each bed and move to the other room. Eventually you will have to bring them into the same room in a cat box - do that a few times and then let them out. Be very careful - they could squabble.

7 month old is still pretty young, so you may not have a problem at all. Our hissy fit cat was 2. It took a year before she snapped out of it. Now she is back to her possessive self, hogging the sofa!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

Thanks cotton - I saw 2 of your dotes on irishanimals and they are gorgeous! I'll talk to himself and give you a call :)

Thanks for your advice everyone - I suppose it all depends on the cat. She always seems fine when I bring her to the vet - a little nervous but still curious of other animals

We have a pretty big house so they won't be in too close quarters!

Whats the stand on litter trays? There's a few conflicting opinions! I thought they'd have 1 each - will they in time use the same one? Or do I need and extra one just incase?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

There's a 3rd one going up tonight.:)

Definately get a second litter tray.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Get two trays first in case they were afraid of each other, you don't want any of them to start ignoring the tray!

My cats were as if jealous about the tray, it was like "she's using it so I need to leave my mark too, and ignore the second one". But I guess it's really individual!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

It really is necessary to have more than one tray if you have more than one cat. Guarding of litter trays can be very unobtrusive and you may not realise it is going on. The cats will probably use the tray because they don't have a choice, but long term stress from fear of getting pounced on in the tray can cause bladder problems eventually.

If you have at least 2 trays and make sure they are far enough away from each other that both can't be guarded at the same time you will reduce the stress. The rule is generally a tray per cat plus one. Remember that if you provide an extra tray you will reduce the risk of someone going somewhere they shouldn't out of laziness too :pac:

Thanks guys - seperate trays it is :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

I got a 2 month old kitten on Sunday to keep my 12 month old cat company. The older cat was very curious of the new kitten and would try to get close so she could give her a sniff but every time she got to close the little kitten the kitten would back off and hide behind me peeping out at the older cat.
    There has been some hissing and paw lifting but nothing more. 3 days on and the kitten is much braver, she see the other cat as a play thing and follows her around everywhere and when the kitten is running about the older cat can’t help but follow her around to see what she’s doing. Now there’s old about 1 hiss a day and thats when the kitten sneaks up on the older cat and jumps on her tail! :D

Both of them are female and use the same litter tray, I feed them in different rooms but they now have taken to eating each others food!

IMAGE_037.jpg

Ah they're gorgeous!

Well little Jonah arrived yesterday :) And what a dote!

He's in the process of exploring the place!

IMG_0058.JPG?imgmax=512

The resident cat is sussing him out at the moment but I don't think there'll be any problems! She's not quite sure what to make of this new white ball of fluff but there's not a bother on Jonah - he's settling in great

IMG_0091.JPG?imgmax=512

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

What a little cutie!!:D Beautiful markings! The fact that your original puddy tat is on the same sofa without a hissy face is real good! I think they'll be absolutely fine.

Lovely cats, :)

How old is the new boy?

Sooty (the black one!) is 8 months old and Jonah, the baby, is 10 weeks

Thats a good age for both of them. They should get used to each other soon and don't worry about the odd slap Sooty gives Jonah, she's just letting her know who's boss. :D

Advertisement