Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent help needed!

Options
  • 19-05-2008 12:51pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys. Im having a bit of a problem and its doing my head in.
    Right I moved house last week and my Pc has been getting slower and slower as the week went by. Especially doing things like transferring files etc.
    This continued until yesterday morning when I turned it on and all I got was one long beep. Looked this up on the mobo website and it said faulty or mis aligned cpu. So I opened up the case and reseated the cpu. Still no difference. Stripped everything out and started over again, still nothing. Thought my processor was dead so I tried it in another pc and it booted fine. Tried a different cpu in my mobo and I get the same bios beep as I have been getting with mine. Now it seems it could be that the board is dead but is this possible when all the light are on and the display on the mobo is acting normal?

Specs
    Q6600
    abit ab9 quad gt
    ocz reaper pc 8500 2gb
    8800gts 640
    corsair hx 620

Have I overlooked something obvious. Did I connect something wrong 4 or 5 times in a row or is my mobo dead.
    Any suggestions would be extremely grateful.
    Thanks in advance
    Mick

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Help anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Have you connected both 24pin and 8pin power to the mobo. Some Abit mobo's also require You to attach a 4pin molex power connector to the mobo also.

abitab9quadgtui3.th.jpg

Yep installed both power connectors and the molex. Really confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭skuzzb

When you took the cpu out last time, did you check for any bent pins in the motherboard??
    If you have a heavy cooler it might have warped things a bit in the move....if any are bent very carefully use a craft knive to nugde the bent pins back into place at your own risk!:pac:

What cooler do you have on the cpu?

O/T @POG My abit board has one of those molex plugs on it and for the life of me I couldnt figure out if it was giving out power or needed power and wasnt bothered taking out the multimeter.....I dont have anything connected to it and the system works fine.....any ideas exactly what its for??

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TonyM.

There was one on my old Asus an8 sli board you only needed it if you were using two cards in sli.

• Advertisement

I have a Thermalright ttultra. Ye checked the pins in the mobo and the seem ok. Ill give them a better look now though because im seriously running out of ideas.

TonyM. wrote: »
    There was one on my old Asus an8 sli board you only needed it if you were using two cards in sli.

I've had a molex plugged in on my Aw9d-max since I got it. I did read somewhere that it provided extra voltage to the pci bus so always used it. Never knew it was just for the second pci-e slot.

Just had a closer look at the pins in the mobo and as far as I can see they are ok but there seems to be a slight warp on the plastic which the cpu sits into and Im wondering if this is causing it when my heatsink is installed. I put back on the intel HSF but that still puts quiet a bit of pressure on it. So Im thinking that when a heatsink is connected the plastic could be touching the pins mis alligning them. Anyone think this could be the cause of it?

Does the thermalright cooler use a backplate on the mobo? From what ive read about o/cing on 775 the push pin system is really pants at making a decent contact but too much pressure for the backplate ones can cause all sorts of probelms.....did it boot with the intel cooler???

another way of checking if there was a major problem that you might not be able to see when the cooler is on would be to check the contact side of the CPU for any scratches on the contact dots or any major indents on certain contact dots (theres probably a word for them but im not sure)....

Then again I could be waaaay off but ive read in a few mags that for system builders using heavy coolers = not good for shipping so its my first instinct....

EDIT.....post some pics if you can im not sure what plastic you mean.....

Ok scrap the warped plastic bit I think Im going delusional from staring at it for 2 days. Scuzzb I think you may have hit the nail on the head. It does have a back plate. I noticed some of the dots on the processor were darker and there were a few marks on it. However the processor is working fine but it looks like it damaged the pins on the mobo even though I cant really see any. You think I nedd a new mobo. And do you think my cpu is on its way out too?

• Advertisement

My view is, if i havent smelt or seen smoke or heard a loud pop it aint broken so I wouldnt worry about either yet.....did it work with the intel cooler?

If what i think is wrong is wrong then the lower pins are the ones most effected (gravity and all that)

You might be able to fix things by getting the back plate to work better.....unscrew the back plate fully and then put the 4 screws back on to finger tight level.....then start on the top 2 and tighten fully, then do the bottom two only once there fully in, undo them by a quater or half turn each.....that might balance things out a bit or make things worse.....ya never know sure untill ya try and hear a pop sure....or smell smoke....electrical fire so no water hehehe

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

what are your temps??

Nope didnt work with the intel heatsink either. Cool ill give that a try. So your saying tighten the top 2 and have the lower 2 a bit loser and hopefully itll balance out. Its worth a try any way, Im gettin pretty good atputtin the heatsink on and takin it off. Must have done it at least 30 times today lol

From o/p its not even posting.....

lol you musta used an entire tube of thermal paste at this stage.......you are using thermal paste right?

Ye man almost a whole tube of artic 5. Lucky I stocked up a while ago! Still experimenting with the tightness of the screws. No luck yet. Ill keep goin till I pass out.

Ye man almost a whole tube of artic 5. Lucky I stocked up a while ago! Still experimenting with the tightness of the screws.

OMG, not a full tube :eek:
    Your supposed to use a pea sized amount. Instructions here

Are You not fully tightening the screws on the heatsink? They're supposed to be fully tight for best contact. Just tighten them as tight as they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Póg:

The OP has taken the CPU apart many times now trying to find the problem. Hence why almost a full tube of Thermal paste has been used. They haven't used it all in one go.

Sorry, skipped a few posts on the last page.

Hey guys. Sorted. After all my fidgeting around with the tightness of the screws i decided to modify the back plate under (where I assumed) the part of the socket wasnt contacting properly. I just welded a very slim metal plate to it making it uneven. Viola worked a treat. Everything back up and going. I hope this is not just a short term solution but at the moment its working fine with my temps lower than they have been in a while. Cheers scuzzb for setting me on the right path.

• Advertisement
Advertisement