Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some people sicken me

Options
  • 19-05-2008 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭

Last Friday evening my wife was driving home and just beside the local pub she was horrified to see two dogs one only a puppy 'playing' with the traffic on the main Dublin-Galway road, They belonged to the owners of a house right beside the pub. She stopped and managed to coax them in and around the back of the house and knocked on the door but there was no-one there, she closed the gate and left, anyway this morning I'm heading into work and driving passed the house and there was the gate open and the elder dog splattered all over the road. I mean how stupid and idiotic are some people.
    We feel that we should have done more but the owners would not be the easiest of people to talk with. :mad::mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

If pets are being mistreated and the ownser's do not care, surely a call to one of the many agencies that protect pets/animals is required.

I think it would be best to call anyway and advise that there are 2 other dogs at risk of the same fate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 georgina

That is horrific. People like that shouldnt be allowed pets...whats the point if your not going to take care of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

patmac wrote: »
    Last Friday evening my wife was driving home and just beside the local pub she was horrified to see two dogs one only a puppy 'playing' with the traffic on the main Dublin-Galway road, They belonged to the owners of a house right beside the pub. She stopped and managed to coax them in and around the back of the house and knocked on the door but there was no-one there, she closed the gate and left, anyway this morning I'm heading into work and driving passed the house and there was the gate open and the elder dog splattered all over the road. I mean how stupid and idiotic are some people.
    We feel that we should have done more but the owners would not be the easiest of people to talk with. :mad::mad:

How about calling the Council Dog Warden or any of the animal welfare groups and get something done about it? I think just complaining on a messageboard is such a waste of time!
    Action & Words come to mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭larko

As you all know, the weather has been very hot the past week and my dads young neighbour decided to disappear for the week leaving her dog without food or water. My dad saw her brother and told him to tell his sister to look after the dog. My dad was dropping food and water through the gate for the week.

That evening she returned back to the house and banged on his door and started shouting abuse at him to mind his own business and she can do whatever she likes with her dog.

These idiots who don't look after their pets are not the same type of person as you or I who care about animals. Although she was lucky I wasn't around because she wouldn't have had a push-over like my dad. I'd have flattened her.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

Anybody see the dead dog on the M50 over the weeknend? Northbound near tallaght exit I think. It was a big dog (think it was a sheep dog), whoever hit it would have known all about it and obviously just left it there :mad: Whether it was dead or not it's disgraceful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

How about calling the Council Dog Warden or any of the animal welfare groups and get something done about it? I think just complaining on a messageboard is such a waste of time!
    Action & Words come to mind!

A bit harsh TBH as she was the only one who did anything about it with people standing outside the pub laughing at her as she was trying to coax the dogs in around the back. She put them in and closed the gate in the belief that a mistake was made in leaving the gate open, but obviously not, and we have called the dog warden before regarding a greyhound wandering the streets of Ballinasloe and nothing was done about it. Love your holier than thou attitude and sorry for wasting your time by making you read this post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Patmac, I wouldn't have even replied to that post.
    Obviously your O/H was trying to help the dogs. I don't know how many times I have rang numerous places about dogs and even horses on the loose and they tell me that nothing can be done as they just don't have the resources or the vans are busy somewhere else. But, personally, I would have rang the garda and told them that the dogs nearly caused a crash.
    The poor dog though. The other one would probably be better off being PTS now than being creamed by a car like its friend!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Report them all - they shouldn't have pets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

I know someone who worked in a dog pound for a while. The dog wardens won't even come out when you call unless you have the animal held/trapped/under control... whatever you wanna call it.

Whats the point in calling if they won't do anything about it? i know sometimes maybe its easy enough to keep a dog until the warden arrives... but what about a scared or aggressive dog that you have no chanch of catching? Surely the wardens should be doing this...

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

its terrible fair play to your wife.she did her best .People just have no intelligence where animals are concerned .Here in the country dogs are loose all the while chasing cars its crazy.I removed a dead dog from the road the other day and put it on a bank people thought i was thick !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

An update, we contacted the Dog Warden in Ballinasloe and because the owner's house is in Roscommon it doesn't fall into his area. Due to financial restraintsThere is no Dog Warden in Roscommon, and there would be little he could do anyway as the pup is not a stray.
    Ireland's attitude to dogs sometimes is not much better than Korea's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

these people are such idiots. your wife shouldn't blame herself, she did her best. these people are too thick to be left in charge of a stone nevermind a living being. about 6 dogs have been killed on my road in the last few years due to idiots. there are approx. another 7 that are constantly running around ON the road in front of traffic, about 4 of which are aggressive. there are several others around as well and masses of them around the back roads. these idiots can't seem to understand that it's so simple to construct a fence, a gate or a dog run. or even to close the gates that they have! and the poor dogs are the ones that get run over.

and here the warden(s) and the spca are useless as well and won't do a thing to help any animals usually. I reported the dogs around here before and also 2 half starved horses being "grazed" on a strip of mud and nothing was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

patmac wrote: »
    Ireland's attitude to dogs sometimes is not much better than Korea's
    No way!! Sauce isn't half as nice - based on the amount of mouth to mouths our puppies have attempted :eek:

Advertisement