Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belkin uses Open Source for Firmware Update for Router and supplies the source code.

Options
  • 19-05-2008 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭

Good news, it looks like Belkin have made available an updated pre-release firmware for their routers using open source code, and they have complied with the GPL license by supplying the source code for download. If only all router, and other device manufacturers, would take note and do likewise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

My Philips TV has a Linux kernel and uses libgphoto2. They provide the source code on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

daymobrew wrote: »
    My Philips TV has a Linux kernel and uses libgphoto2. They provide the source code on their website.
    Interesting ... I have a recent Philips TV with a rather annoying "feature" I'd like to change. Where did you find this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Wont stop Belkin making shíte wifi products tho

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Lol, :) I find them alright, but I don't use wifi, too many security and (potential) health risks.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

No health risks - none, zip, nada.

Not much risk to security either, if you know what you're doing.

• Advertisement

Oracle wrote: »
    Lol, :) I find them alright, but I don't use wifi, too many security and (potential) health risks.

What potential heath risks exactly?

The following are links to recent reports about the potential risks of WiFi:

BBC Panorama
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/panorama/6674675.stm

Telegraph
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1549944/Warning-on-wi-fi-health-risk-to-children.html

The London Independent
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-wellbeing/health-news/danger-on-the-airwaves-is-the-wifi-revolution-a-health-time-bomb-445732.html

The Times
    http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/personal_tech/article1718256.ece

I don't necessarily agree with any or all of these reports, and I don't advocate a certain position on WiFi, or condemn it's use. I've just made an individual decision to keep WiFi use in my home to a minimum. I don't have it turned on all the time, I only turn it on when I need to, for example, whenever I use a laptop. That's very seldom, because I and family, mainly use desktop PC's. I think it's up to each person to make their own decisions about WiFi, taking all factors into account.

Scaremongering, complete BS, absolutely no science in that.
    Wi-Fi systems essentially take small versions of these masts into the home and classroom - they emit much the same kind of radiation. Though virtually no research has been carried out, campaigners and some scientists expect them to have similar ill-effects.

Will reading this make You remove the smoke alarm from your house?

Oracle wrote: »
    I've seen that one. It was one of the worst pieces of sensational tabloid journalism I've ever seen - absolutely disgraceful that BBC aired it.
    I don't necessarily agree with any or all of these reports, and I don't advocate a certain position on WiFi, or condemn it's use. I've just made an individual decision to keep WiFi use in my home to a minimum. I don't have it turned on all the time, I only turn it on when I need to, for example, whenever I use a laptop. That's very seldom, because I and family, mainly use desktop PC's. I think it's up to each person to make their own decisions about WiFi, taking all factors into account.
    The problem is that you're taking mythical factors into account. If someone started making hysterical noises about ceramics being toxic - without any useful science or data to back up their position - would you switch to plastic cups and plates?

It always comes back to the demand that someone prove that WiFi (or mobile phones, or whatever) doesn't pose a health risk. This ignores the fact that you can't prove the absence of something, and that if you've spent decades looking for something - something for which there's no evidence that it exists - and you still haven't found it, it's a reasonable assumption that it just isn't there.

As I've said in my post, it's up to each person to make their own decisions about WiFi, taking all factors into account.

• Advertisement

Absolutely. The problem I have is that every mention of "WiFi" and "health risk" in the same sentence adds up to yet another tiny little piece of disinformation, until there's enough background noise to get people thinking that there's no smoke without fire.

I take all factors into account also, but I only take into account the ones that are actually true. Your WiFi router is doing as much damage to your health as your CD player. There is no evidence to the contrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Back on topic..
    The Netgear router I have, uses Linux, and the source code for their firmware is available from their website.

Advertisement