Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Access is denied"

Options
  • 18-05-2008 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭

I have to get into my brothers' profile on the computer to check something, so I go to "My Compter" and onto his profile get onto his "Documents" and it allows me into every folder except "My Music" how do I get around this?

Basically it's saying this:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Andrew\MyDocuments\My Music is not accessible
    Access is denied

On my Ad-Aware scans it shows up stuff in his "My Music" and I want to check to see what he's been downloading etc... without him knowing so I can catch him out.;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 geezer.ryan

Press F5 a few times when booting the computer up, you will see something the Safe mode option choose this and log into the administrator account the password is usually left blank, but this account wont show up when you boot up normally, you will have admin access meaning access to any files on the system you could also add another account with administrator rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Press F5 a few times when booting the computer up, you will see something the Safe mode option choose this and log into the administrator account the password is usually left blank, but this account wont show up when you boot up normally, you will have admin access meaning access to any files on the system you could also add another account with administrator rights.

Thanks for the suggestion but still getting the same message.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

It's usually f10, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Who's computer is it?

Is it not invasion of privacy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Are you a local administrator on the machine, if you are you can change the permissions on the folder and allow yourself access to it.

Is this a home PC? And what version of Windows?

And the Windows menu is F8 after the start of the boot process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

It's usually f10, no?

f8 afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Soundman wrote: »
    Who's computer is it?

Is it not invasion of privacy?

Home computer, it's the parents but I look after it.

Ginger wrote: »
    Are you a local administrator on the machine, if you are you can change the permissions on the folder and allow yourself access to it.

Is this a home PC? And what version of Windows?

And the Windows menu is F8 after the start of the boot process.

Yup I'm local Admin, how do I do that?

Yup home PC, Windows XP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Right click on the folder and click properties

Click Security

Click Advanced

Click Owner

You should be able to change the owner to yourself

Then edit the security permissions to yourself and your brother as full control

Now before you do this try this on another folder of your own

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/08/20/453428.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Ginger wrote: »
    Right click on the folder and click properties

Click Security

Click Advanced

Click Owner

You should be able to change the owner to yourself

Then edit the security permissions to yourself and your brother as full control

Now before you do this try this on another folder of your own

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/08/20/453428.aspx

If its XP home you cant take ownership of of folders unless ur in safe mode. you just wont see the option otherwise. Also be sure to change it back when done otherwise you'll be rumbled

Advertisement