Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constructive Dismissal?

Options
  • 18-05-2008 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks, I am wondering if anyone can help me here.

This June I will be with my present jobs three years. From the word go I have been the one my boss relies on the most, the company kind of revolved around my position. Anyways, when I took the job the challenge was to build up this area of the business from the dust which I did, it now accounts for about 60% of the new business that comes in.

Now, this time last year we needed to get some extra help for me so that was fine then the new bloke didn't work out and he wasn't kept on. This decision was made without informing me. So of course with him gone i was doing two loads of work. I worked myself into teh ground last summer, I forgoed my holidays (there would have been no point taking them as id have come back to a complete mess), when holidays where mentioned my boss said they weren't really possible atm etc.

Long story short I made myself ill working so hard last year and by Christmas I basically lost the head and demanded some time off. I got it but after Christmas mine and my bosses relationship was broken and I decided with the way I was treated and the atmosphere I decided to get a new job.

I secured a job quickly and resigned. Before I could sign new contract boss came to me begging me not to leave, promising me things would change, offered me and new deal and more money. Foolishly I accepted and almost 6 months on everything bar the raise has been a lie.

Lately I am getting all the crap work, not being included in vital discussions on work (what I was promised), not been spoken to like rest of staff (friendly, jovial), just generally I can't do anything right. Its really getting me down so much so I called in sick on Friday and he was less than polite on phone, "Right, thanks" and then hung up. I know I will get it in the neck tomorrow and for rest of the week. Unlike the other staff, who, if they call in sick, get a very concerned employer, told not to come in till they are well.

Just feel like I am left with no option but to leave. I just dont get it, he begs me to stay then treats me like this.

I guess its worth mentioning that I am a complete workhorse and surpass my targets constantly.

Help :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Todoquetengo

I don't know if it's constructive dismissal but you should definitely leave. Why are you staying there? If it's making you physically ill then you need to get another job, and you already know you can find work elsewhere so just do it and get out of there before all your confidence is gone!

I know it's hard to leave a place but sometimes you have to bite the bullet. Go find somewhere that will appreciate your efforts ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

You 'just don't get it'? The smart move for your boss was to beg you to stay and promise you the earth. If you had left they'd have been left chronically understaffed with the problem of finding and training a new employee. The smart follow through was for them to hire someone else and gradually make you less important because you had fallen out and you were likely to leave. I wouldn't have expected you boss to keep up their end of the 'bargain'.

I'd suggest that the smart thing for you to do is what you should have done six months ago and leave, even if you take a pay cut to do it. I wouldn't bother with legal action based on the circumstantial nature of your post but if you want legal advice you'll have to contact a solicitor.

Advertisement