Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC keeps crashing when playing CSS

Options
  • 18-05-2008 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭

Only recently my PC keeps crashing when playing CSS. They arent CTD, ill be playing for x amount of minutes [as the length for which the crashes occur are inconsistent] and ill get a black screen on my monitor, a sound loop of whatever was playing and then a sound that to my hears sounds like the PC trying to boot something up. Its really bugging me as i havent a clue where the fault lies. I just recently installed a new graphics card into my PC A MSI 9600GT and thought that might be the suspect but iv played other games such as Crysis, AC, Rainbow 6 Vegas with no problems its only when i start playing CSS it occurs.

My PC is

9600GT
    Q6600
    2Gb Corsair
    P35-DS3R
    500Gb Seagate
    AXP 630W

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Try a different driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,154 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

different game different error. If I play CSS too long by the end of the 1st hour i run the risk of running into Graphics Artefacts and i'd be forced to restart, let the machine cool or whatever. On the other hand I can run HL2 TF2 and Portal all day no bother.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

9600GT's a pretty old graphics card. Is the fan ok on it? A lot of the 9x00 series cards had crappy fans. Just make sure it's not overheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Khannie wrote: »
    9600GT's a pretty old graphics card. Is the fan ok on it? A lot of the 9x00 series cards had crappy fans. Just make sure it's not overheating.

Nvidia 9600gt or Ati 9600? Pretty stupid that they have started naming cards the same as their competitors older cards.

Considering its just CSS that this happens to, odds are this is not a Hardware problem. Which leaves;

A corrupted CSS install/Memory Leak
    Or a driver problem.

Do a clean install of your drivers, or re-install CSS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Nvidia 9600gt or Ati 9600?

:rolleyes: Doubt he'd be able to play Crysis at all on an Ati 9600 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,154 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Im actually ready to blame a CSS memory leak, to be honest. Like I said its just one of those games to cause headaches from time to time. Give the game a fresh re-install: go download all the files fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Overheal wrote: »
    Im actually ready to blame a CSS memory leak, to be honest. Like I said its just one of those games to cause headaches from time to time. Give the game a fresh re-install: go download all the files fresh.

Cheers i will try that then.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Nvidia 9600gt or Ati 9600? Pretty stupid that they have started naming cards the same as their competitors older cards.

Oopsie. I assumed it was the old ATI one (missed the crysis bit). That was the 9600XT though iirc. You're dead right. Pretty stupid naming that one.

The old ATI card could play CS:S without any trouble though, especially with a decent processor.

Advertisement