Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot connect to net - possible problem with ethernet cable?

Options
  • 18-05-2008 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

I've got a broadband connection problem at the moment that's got me puzzled. I cannot connect to the net with my laptop, but the same ethernet cable will provide a connection when connected to another machine. I think it might be a problem with the ethernet slot on my laptop, and maybe someone could confirm this for me - I've got one flashing green light over the slot when the cable is inserted into the slot, but don't have the solid amber light that the other computer has when it's connected. Does this mean the problem is with my ethernet slot?

In the connection properties a connection is showing up, but at a very slow speed (one byte/sec approx).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Have you tried reseting the router? Sticking a pen tip or something similar into the little hole on side of router for few seconds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

38141 wrote: »
    I've got a broadband connection problem at the moment that's got me puzzled. I cannot connect to the net with my laptop, but the same ethernet cable will provide a connection when connected to another machine. I think it might be a problem with the ethernet slot on my laptop, and maybe someone could confirm this for me - I've got one flashing green light over the slot when the cable is inserted into the slot, but don't have the solid amber light that the other computer has when it's connected. Does this mean the problem is with my ethernet slot?

In the connection properties a connection is showing up, but at a very slow speed (one byte/sec approx).

Its possible you have a problem with the Ethernet port on the desktop/laptop. I would connect the ethernet cable and check the LAN connection in Network connections and also check the Network adapters in device manager for anything that may show driver issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

I once encountered a cable that worked (though with poor performance) with one brand of network card but did not work with another brand. Though end-to-end continuity on the cable was fine and there were no shorts, whoever wired it did not observe 586-A or 586-B colour codes so one 'pair' was not sitting on a twisted pair in the cable but was split across two twisted pairs. I chopped the plugs off, crimped new plugs with wires in the correct order, and the problem was solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭38141

The connection is shared with four other computers. The other computers have no problem connecting through the router.

I was wondering too (aside from my ethernet slot) maybe the router is limiting access to four computers - however I've had no problems until now and the number of connected computers hasn't changed.

edit: the Lan connection is showing 'connected' (but the rate is very slow), in device manager adapter is showing 'this device is working properly'.

I checked the laptop at a different location and it was working fine, no problems. The cable there was ethernet also, but seemed to be a little different than at my above location. Are there different types of ethernet cable and maybe my slot/modem is having problems with certain types?

• Advertisement

I checked the laptop at a different location and it was working fine, no problems. The cable there was ethernet also, but seemed to be a little different than at my above location. Are there different types of ethernet cable and maybe my slot/modem is having problems with certain types?

Okay so the network card and drivers are okay. That leaves the Ethernet cable and the router. I doubt it is the cable. Did you try resetting the router? The router connection settings could have changed unbeknown to you. Are other people connected downloading heavy? Ask two of them to disconnect while you try again. How are your pings? How is everyone in the house connecting to the internet? Can you try connecting wirelessly?

It seems to be working ok now after we entered manual IP and DNS addresses. Does this mean that if I try to connect from a different location it will not work?

Re-setting your router would have restored your default settings and nothing would have to be manually inputted. But yes, it will still work in other places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

It seems to be working ok now after we entered manual IP and DNS addresses. Does this mean that if I try to connect from a different location it will not work?

If your router is doing its job properly it should automaticially assign the laptop an ip. Since now you have it setup with the dns and ip detals for yoru connection at home you will have to reenter the information when conecting to a different router. There should be an option to "obtain ip address automatcially"

But seriously, take the advice of the above posters and reset your router/modem. And if you have any problems connecting it back up then ring your service provider as they will probably have to give yo ua feew details to enter into the routers control panel.

but if i reset the router will that cause problems for the others logged on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Depends how they are connected ? If its wired, no. But if its wireless it might, but all you have to do is rename the ssid and set wep,wpa etc etc and set the key then give it to the others.

Advertisement