Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AVG still free?

Options
  • 18-05-2008 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have AVG Free Edition which used to update most days once I connected to the interenet. However lately I get the update pop up but it doesnt go past 0b. It just says "receive answer.." under server. I figured I should just uninstall and reinstall, however on the home page there doesnt appear to be a free options any more

http://www.grisoft.com/ww.home-and-office-security

Do you think there is just a problem with mine or is it not free anymore?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

There is still a free version.
    http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition#tba2

AVG's Internet update fails quite often. Try again later? Check firewall settings. Reboot. ...switch to Avast! Free

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Cheers for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

They stop providing updates for version 7.5 at the end of this month IIRC. Time to update to AVG 8.

Thats AVG 8 that you have to pay for? If so then maybe Avast! might be the option

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

TheBazman wrote: »
    Thats AVG 8 that you have to pay for? If so then maybe Avast! might be the option

AVG 8 has a free version as well. Just follow Karomas link above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

TheBazman wrote: »

No free Version 8? :(

PogMoThoin wrote: »

Thanks.

45.6MB :eek: I don't know if my little laptop will handle it. :(

Is it very resources hungry?

kleefarr wrote: »
    45.6MB :eek: I don't know if my little laptop will handle it. :(

Is it very resources hungry?

Thats the size of the file download, how would your laptop not handle it? :confused:

Don't use Avg myself so I've got no idea what ram it uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I upgraded to avg 8(Free) last week. Its got a handy feature when your looking at google search results it tells you if the link is safe or not but I think firefox is running a bit slower because of it.

• Advertisement

I've only got a little Dell L400.

I have downloaded it, so we'll see how it goes.

When installing I got a "Roxio CD" Warning conflict something or other error, but I don't have Roxio CD Creator. :confused:

Never mind.

Thanks guys for all the help - I will download AVG 8 tomorrow at work (unfortunately I only have dial up at home so I dont feel like waiting for 3.5 hrs for it to download now)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

For those who want to install avg 8.0 free without the toolbar and yes the toolbar is bloated and slow look here ;)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I got AVG 8.0 Free a few days ago and it has no noticeable extra strain on your computer (Without the gimmicky toolbar). It's UI looks far better than 7.5 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,117 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

have been using it a bit. dont notice it any more of system hog even on a 1ghz laptop.

much better scheduler than before

do miss the rotating scanning icon in the taskbar, so you can see if its scanning

better that that the antispyware is now built in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Had to disable the AVG Safe Search add-on for Firefox myself. Found it kept stalling my browser every time I clicked a link or opened a new tab. AVG itself though is fine, haven't noticed any problem with the new version.

Advertisement