Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Show Of The Week #1: Life On Mars

Options
  • 17-05-2008 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,472 ✭✭✭✭

Going to try something new here.... see how it goes.

This is a series of threads to discuss popular TV shows. Considering the imminent remake, I've picked Life On Mars for the first discussion.

What did you like about it? What didn't you like? What were your favourite episodes? What did you think of the ending? Could it have ended any other way?
    Favourite Gene Hunt line? Do you think the Americans are going to make a balls of it? Did Ashes to Ashes taint its legacy?

TV Fans, take it away....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I loved it. I'm not that hopeful for the american version but we'll see. Gene Hunt is a legend. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Colm Meaney is the man who will stand or fall in that role :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I was writing off the american version until I saw Meaney tbh. He could save it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,417 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I have never watched a full episode. Am I missing much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I will not watch the US version. It'll be pants.

As for the Beeb series, I'd need to watch it again (to refresh the parts etc) but I always made sure to watch it so thats a reccomendation of a sort. Series one was stronger once I'd got "inside" Sam Tylers head and ther was no denying the strenght of the performances of John Simm and Liz White (PC Annie Cartwright) in particular. The denoument of series two was erm problematic - would he have done that? Was Tyler actually mad? Hmmm. Style-wise its top-draw the use of music, editing, sets (esp the police room that has design echoes of a hospital ward).

I liked Ashes to Ashes overall, its best thought of as a spin-off not a sequel, the tone is quite different as is the central conceit - DI Drake thinks she is in on the joke and therefore in control.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,417 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

mike65 wrote: »
    I will not watch the US version. It'll be pants.
    How do you know?

I hate the way people think that if someone else does the show it'll be brutal, same as the office, everyone says "Oh that's crap, can't be the same as the original" but they've never watched it. I for one prefer the US office...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,813 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Excellent idea Dave.

'Life on Mars' completely passed me by on it's initial airing and after being recommended by a few friends, and after an excellent review on one of the entertainment podcasts I frequently listen to - I thought it was about time I gave it a try!

Watched the first episode and enjoyed it somewhat.. but didn't think it was amazing. But it's a show that slowly grabs you as it progresses - stupendous performances from all involved (especially John Simms and Philip Glenister), interesting and true-to-life characters and lots of fun self-referential humour at the 70's (both politically and domestically involved).

And 'Ashes to Ashes' followed it which was a bit of a letdown. Entertaining but nothing compared to Sam Tyler's character and exploits in 'Life on Mars' - Gene Hunt was also very watered down in 'Ashes to Ashes'.

Favourite Hunt line? I can't give just one.. i'll leave ye with 5:
    • “Now. Yesterday’s shooting. The dealers are all so scared we’re more likely to get Helen Keller to talk. The Paki in a coma’s about as lively as Liberace’s dick when he’s looking at a naked woman, all in all this investigation’s going at the speed of a spastic in a magnet factory.”
    • "You great soft, sissy, girlie, nancy, french, bender, Man United supporting puff!"
    • "He's got fingers in more pies than a leper on a cookery course."
    • "Anything happens to this motor and I come over your houses and stamp on all your toys. Got it?"
    • "I've come at this from more angles than Linda Lovelace".
    It's an absolutely wonderful show and anyone who hasn't seen it really REALLY needs to!

I'm still torn on the US remake.. I reckon it's gonna be a huge disappointment. Colm Meaney is perfect for Gene Hunt but it just doesn't look impressive at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,472 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Might as well throw in my 2c since I started the thread...

I wasn't sold on the first episode either. I watched it, thought it was OK, and didn't watch any more. Then there was a thread here on boards discussing it, and I thought I'd give it another go. I watched the other 15 episodes over the Christmas period last year.

The episode that totally sold it to me was the football one, where Sam saw himself with his dad at the football game at the end of the episode. It was such a clever touch, and gave me alot of hope for the rest of the series.

As for the end of the series, sadly I knew what was going to happen before I actually saw it, but I couldn't wait to see how it actually happened. The journey from such a shocking downer (the jump), to the actual ending was a nice surprise.

There were a couple of weak episodes near the start of season 2, but overall it was a fantastic series and well worth catching if you haven't see it yet - 16 hours of great TV.

Double box sets with all 16 episodes are available pretty cheaply now if you look around.

Finally, I hate the trailer for the US version, but I'll give it a go...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

LOM will go down as one of the great British tv series I think. There is already a lot of nostalgia and good feeling towards it and it's only a year since it ended. I know I didn't appreciate it when it was on, and have only recently been getting through the box set.

I think Ashes to Ashes suffers because it is naturally compared to such an innovative parent series, but I think it has to be viewed in a different way. It's not as dark or complex as Life on Mars, but good fun in it's own way.

Having said all that LOM couldn't pick up a BAFTA award this year. This seems shameful that it couldn't win a BAFTA. It was beaten by 'the street' for best drama. I've never seen this but it must be one hell of a show to top LOM. For some reason I suspect it isn't.

The ending of LOM left plenty of opportunity for sequels and spin offs, and 16 episodes could have been spun out to more. But like Father Ted, and before it Fawlty Towers it's remembered that if you want to be a classic don't overstay your welcome and always leave them begging for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

I agree. I was hooked from teh first ep and I just stumbled across it on BBC3 while waiting for an ad break to end on a different station! Loved it! Have both series on DVD and watch them regularly.

Having said that I didnt enjoy the first two eps of Ashes to Ashes and I'm finding it hard to watch the rest. The American one can go either way but I think Colm Meany will be brilliant and I might just watch it for him anyhoo!

If you haven't seen this you MUST! Great one lines from Gene, brilliant chemistry between all characters and just bloody good story! :D

• Advertisement

Going to resurrect this thread as I finally got around to watching both seasons. I had watched the odd episode here and there when it aired initially but never really got into it. Picked up both seasons on Blu Ray about a year ago and they sat in my cupboard gathering dust till I took them out last week and feel in love with the show. The concept has always interested me and given that I'll give anythign with a hint of sci fi a chance it was somewhat inevitable that I would enjoy the show. That I fell in love with it was not something I expected.

LoM really is one of those shows in which it all comes together splendidly. The concept, casting, writing, directing, production design, etc. There is no area in which the show is anythign but superb. As a film maker me and my friend swill now and again ask one another which production we would have liked to have worked on and when next I'm asked the answer is without a shadow of doubt Life on Mars, it's everything good telly should be.

Advertisement