Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyway to manually terminate processes

Options
  • 17-05-2008 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭

Basically, my laptop has started to lag really badly of late. Is there anyway to manually override windows task manager? I tried KillProcess but that wouldnt shut down the processes either. The file I want to kill is cfp.exe, a Comdo firewall file that occasionally lags out my laptop (99% processor use on an XPS) after ive run a few pieces of software on it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Closing the firewall (from the system tray), should stop the process no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

Try killing the process tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

In task manager go to View -> Select Columns and tick PID. Get the PID of the process you want to kill. Open a command window and type kill PID

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

psexec / pskill are good on microsoft's site

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

psexec / pskill are good on microsoft's site

when i try to use them in cmd window it justs says they're not recognised as command...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

ianmc38 wrote: »
    when i try to use them in cmd window it justs says they're not recognised as command...
    You need to either manually navigate to the folder the applications are in before launching them, or add the folder path to the PATH environment variable.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

or copy them to a folder in the path like c:\windows

So pskill isn't a command that's built into dos?

I navigated to the directpry where the process is run and tried pskill form there but it still said it isnt a valid command!???

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

ianmc38 wrote: »
    Is there anyway to manually override windows task manager?
    Process Explorer v11.04

ok scratch that, found and downloaded pskill and added it to windows directory but it wont kill the process:

Unable to kill process, access is denied

• Advertisement
Advertisement