Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router won't take two connections IP Conflict

Options
  • 17-05-2008 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭

Router: Wireless-G Broadband Router WRT54G

Trying to connect the PS3 and the laptop to the router however when I try to connect the 2nd device, the first loses connection.

I set the Laptop to 192.168.1.2 and use automatic on the PS3 and it still fails, set both of them to automatic and it also fails. Get a message on the laptop about an IP conflict and then windows fixes itself and the PS3 fails.

Im out of ideas. Anyone point me in the right direction?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Can you set the PS3 to a static address outside the DHCP pool range? - If so set the PC as well outside the range. You should get no conflicts then.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

are you using wired or wireless?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I tried both Wired and Wireless on the PS3, will try the outside ip later, thanks

Had this working using both static ip address and they could communicate however sometimes the ps3 and pc would connecting would cause the other to be kicked off. Erratic behavour as I had it working earlier and watched a movie, then tried it this afternoon and bang.

I have disabled DHCP. This is driving me crazy, maybe a better router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

If you still get the same error about static IP, you have assiged the same IP address two PC's and need to change one.

• Advertisement

No Static IP addresses are different. Just updated the firmware on the router. This is driving me mental now at this stage.

Once I connect on the PS3 it kicks me off the network on pc and then reconnects, for a moment I can see the Video server(laptop) on the PS3 but then disconnects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

If you leave your router/PC set to dynamic IP/DNS you shouldn't get the error.

When I let the router assign the DNS and didn't specifiy it on the client it gave me a conflicting IP address error as in the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The problem exists because the router has a "pool" of free addresses which it assigns to devices that request them.

When a request comes in, the router checks the pool for the next unused address and hands that out. Then it marks that address as "reserved".

The IP Address pool on your router is probably 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.50.
    So when the PS3 connects and asks for an IP address, the router looks at its pool, sees that 192.168.1.2 is free and assigns that to the PS3.

The router has no idea that you've already manually assigned 192.168.1.2 to your PC.

It is possible in your router's config page to change the DHCP properties and remove 192.168.1.2 from the DHCP pool.

This will fix your problem. So will assigning a dynamic IP to the PC (reboot everything after you do this).

Advertisement