Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picture breaking up on Sky HD

Options
  • 17-05-2008 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi can anyone help me , I have a Sky HD box (Thompson) and the last few days the picture has been breaking up and pixelating every now and again, I recorded a program on Thursday night and when i watched it this morning about 10 mins into it the screen went blue for a second and when it came back on it was 28 mins into the program , i tried to rewind but same thing an I tried to restart the recording but it happened again
    Anyone know whats wrong?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Brolly

Hi can anyone help me , I have a Sky HD box (Thompson) and the last few days the picture has been breaking up and pixelating every now and again, I recorded a program on Thursday night and when i watched it this morning about 10 mins into it the screen went blue for a second and when it came back on it was 28 mins into the program , i tried to rewind but same thing an I tried to restart the recording but it happened again
    Anyone know whats wrong?

My Sky+ box sometimes messes up recordings - the blue screen for about 20 minutes during a recording. Don't know why, but when I rang Sky they just said that can happen from time to time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

The first thing to check is that your dish alignment is OK , if it is , then the problem is almost definitely the power supply in the box.
    Ive been through this , even wrote a procedure on how to do it , and its stickied in the FAQ's above.

http://bytelive.com/files/Replacing%20SkyHD%20PSU.pdf

The power supply causes the problem you are describing above , eventually all recordings will fail , and you will lose anytime , and high bit rate channels like movie channels will be unwatchable.

Its easily fixed though , and sky should know about this by now , something tells me they do , as instead of owning up to the problem and fixing it , they are now selling extended warranties, typical !

The best thing to do is to get a properly fixed power supply and put it in yourself. I bought mine from satcure , it cost 50 sterling.
    You can get a set of capacitors and fix up your own power supply if your handy with soldering , the caps cost 10 sterling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 dub girl 78

I think ill give sky a ring and get them to check the dish as i was having a problem recording on the sky plus box in the childrens room last night, I am getting a message recording is not available, please call to upgrade your subscription (on the plus box) so hopefully its only the dish as the plus box is still under warranty but i got the hd box from someone else so I wouldnt have a warranty with sky for it, thanks for your help and do you know if I replaced the hard drive on the hd box can i still get sky anytime and what type of hdd do i get IDE or SATA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Deception217

Just turned on my tv for the first time today and I'm getting 'No Satellite Being Received' it was working perfectly fine last night.

I've reset the box, power cycled etc but still getting the same error, without ringing up Sky, is there anything I can do to fix it?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

MODEDIT, I've merged your thread, Deception217, with an existing thread.

Read up, as it may be of help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Just turned on my tv for the first time today and I'm getting 'No Satellite Being Received' it was working perfectly fine last night.

I've reset the box, power cycled etc but still getting the same error, without ringing up Sky, is there anything I can do to fix it?

Is you Sky Box connected to a dual/quad LNB? That is, are both satellite inputs being used? If not, Sky anytime can take the one and only signal when in standby and when you switch the box on it doesn't release it. I have this problem with my box with only one input.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

do you know if I replaced the hard drive on the hd box can i still get sky anytime and what type of hdd do i get IDE or SATA?

The hard drive on the box is easily replaced and in the HD box the hard drive is SATA. The original hard drive is a Maxtor 300GB. You will still get anytime , the box will commandeer a minimum of 140GB for anytime , theres nothing you can do about that , whether anytime is turned on or off the space still remains claimed.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=156344

Regarding the power supply issues , as Ive said , check the dish alignment first as that can cause identical problems , if the dish is OK though , power supply issues show as any or all of the following.

High bitrate channels a blocky and pixellated , it starts off relatively minor and quickly gets so bad the stations are unwatchable , it will show on HD channels and movie channels and RTE as well as RTE is one of the highest bitrate channels on sky.
    Other channels are OK.

Future recordings fail , usually showing under the planner as a power cut or interruption , sometimes just as a message saying recording is unavailable.

Sky anytime will fail , when you try to access it you get a message saying that anytime is unavailable and to check your subscription and try again later.

Both Sky + and Sky HD use the same power supply , if you have any of the above issues and your sure your dish is OK , then its almost certainly the power supply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Had the same problem with the standard Sky a while back. Only happened with some channels but eventually discovered that it was the Eircom broadband box (or more accurately the two little aerials pointing out of the back). When they were pointed at certain angles the picture became pixilated and distorted. Maybe nothing to do with your issue but just thought I'd pass it on anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Strasser

mathias wrote: »
    Future recordings fail , usually showing under the planner as a power cut or interruption , sometimes just as a message saying recording is unavailable.

Sky anytime will fail , when you try to access it you get a message saying that anytime is unavailable and to check your subscription and try again later.

Both Sky + and Sky HD use the same power supply , if you have any of the above issues and your sure your dish is OK , then its almost certainly the power supply.

I seem to have developed these problems recently too. Signal quality is fine. I'm not very good at doing the electronics myself, do you know anyone out there that would come fit a new power supply for me at a fair price? I am going to ring Sky and see what they say but reading of other people's experience on digital spy I'm not expecting too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 dub girl 78

Ok i rang sky and they are sending out an engineer but now the hd box has started to turn itself off what is this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Strasser

Strasser wrote: »
    I seem to have developed these problems recently too. Signal quality is fine. I'm not very good at doing the electronics myself, do you know anyone out there that would come fit a new power supply for me at a fair price? I am going to ring Sky and see what they say but reading of other people's experience on digital spy I'm not expecting too much.

Just thought I should let you know what happenned. I rang Sky, I brought up the issue of the power supply but the rep, who was nice it has to be said, told me that was rubbish. However they sent out an engineer who straight away said the box was knackered and replaced it, presumable with one of those refurbished boxes. I had to pay 149 or something, as my 12 month period was up. Everything has worked fine since so yes, Sky sorted things out for me.

Advertisement