Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding Cyclists ?

Options
  • 17-05-2008 12:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

Can cyclists be done for breaking speed limits.

I'd imagine you could easily do more than 30 kph on a bike in a 30kph zone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭monster1

didn't know there was 30kph zones..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

what ? like if they hit a speed sign and broke it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭bwardrop

Not sure about the 30km/h zones either, but I can crack 50km/h on my mountain bike on the way home from work - nice long downhill section!! Absolutely flat out, balls to the wall - I hit 54km/h one day :D - Feels slow in the car, but quite a rush on the bike!!

I'm sure someone more powerful on a road bike (racer) could do this easily on the flat.

Don't know if they could be 'done' for it - perhaps cautioned! There is no license to put points on after all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

wow okay I stand corrected. though the balls bit i didn't get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Probably not... I'm guessing that it's like stealth technology... no flat surfaces to reflect radar back to a detector.
    Laser would need to be ultra steady to hit a piece of metal rather than be diffused across someones clothes.

In fact I wonder if any motorbikes have ever been done for speeding ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

Yes motorcycles can and have been done for speeding. One of my mates was done by the Bee Hive pub on the way down to Arklow.
    The thing about motorcycles and the new laser guns the gardai use, is that motorcycles are more prone to slip drift of the laser than a car (due to shape, angles, etc...). its quite possible to get a speed reading pointing a laser gun at a static modern sport bike face on! That said it does happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

On a road bike, 30kph is an idling speed, so yes, it would be possible to go faster than 30kph. But, as far as I know breaking the speed limit would not be the offence, rather something like 'driving without due care for the safety others' if a Garda formed an opinion that such was the case. (Perhaps after crashing into a traffic cop). In practice, in the city, Darwin's law will have intervened before the Gardai. 40kph+ on a bicycle is fun but too fast for busy streets with all kinds of stuff coming at you from any direction.

As to penalty points, many cyclists have full driving licenses, so I think it's theoretically possible to get points for a RT offence committed while cycling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭djeclips

All I can say is into work in the morning, N2 By Tesco -Clearwater Yipeeeeeeeeeeeee..................:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

I think the speeding laws only apply to mechanically propelled vehicles. AFAIK cyclists, skateboarders etc are exempt!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

yes you get 2 points on your license.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

veetwin wrote: »
    I think the speeding laws only apply to mechanically propelled vehicles. AFAIK cyclists, skateboarders etc are exempt!
    +1 im fairly sure its only mechanically propelled vehicles,
    whats next gettin done for running to fast? :D dont forget the fastest runner in the world is about 40 kph

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

Someone must have read in the paper a couple years back of a cyclist brought to tallaght district court as result of an over enthusiastic young garda thinking he could do a cyclist for speeding, judge struck it out as complete rubbish. Think it was in 2003.

You dont need a license for cycling a bike for points could never apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

THey don't do a very good job of enforcing speed limits for cars so why bother with bikes? How many deaths to speeding bikes cause?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I asked the same question not too long ago

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055241753

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

mondeo wrote: »
    Someone must have read in the paper a couple years back of a cyclist brought to tallaght district court as result of an over enthusiastic young garda thinking he could do a cyclist for speeding, judge struck it out as complete rubbish. Think it was in 2003.

You dont need a license for cycling a bike for points could never apply.

You can be done for cycling your bicycle under the influence though and have a suspension stuck on your driving license once its issued by the Irish State

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

stratos

Why do u wanna know if it's possible for a cyclist to get a speeding fine or points ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I am sure cyclists can be charged with "reckless endangerment" to the public if they were speeding at 50kph through a busy town centre that had a limit of 30kph. Saying that most cyclists that are doing this speed through a town ctr are hardly going to slow down the momentum to stop at pedestrian lights so more than likely they will be done for breaking these too. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

I am sure cyclists can be charged with "reckless endangerment" to the
    Given an open stretch of road (e.g. passing Guinness), I cruise at about 30 kph. This is about as fast as I like to go in the city, given the variety of things that can happen. It's rare that any other cyclist passes me at that speed, so stories of 50kph cyclists in the city centre are exaggerated. No average cyclist can do that 50kph on the flat & any other that could, saves it the effort for racing. I'm not saying it doesn't happen ever, but I suggest it's quite rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

When i was young and stupid i was stoped by the guards for dangerous cycling, i was only about 14 at the time and was going flat out down the main douglas road.
    I had a spedo on my bike and got 60km/ph (near to it anyway) going down a hill years ago so its easy to get high speeds.

The guards only told me to be careful etc. i was only about 13 at the time so not much point in doing much to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

Dr.Millah wrote: »
    When i was young and stupid i was stoped by the guards for dangerous cycling, i was only about 14 at the time and was going flat out down the main douglas road.
    I had a spedo on my bike and got 60km/ph (near to it anyway) going down a hill years ago so its easy to get high speeds.

The guards only told me to be careful etc. i was only about 13 at the time so not much point in doing much to me.

I did the same thing years ago when i was 15 or so, had a nice new speedo and absolutely belted it down this hill which stretched for a good 2 km. I must have reached 60kmh at least. The cars behind me stayed well back incase I flipped the bike. If I had fallen off I reckon I would have been killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

mondeo wrote: »
    I did the same thing years ago when i was 15 or so, had a nice new speedo and absolutely belted it down this hill which stretched for a good 2 km. I must have reached 60kmh at least. The cars behind me stayed well back incase I flipped the bike. If I had fallen off I reckon I would have been killed.
    Tell me about it man!
    Im surprized i came out of my teenage years in one piece to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

FX Meister wrote: »
    How many deaths to speeding bikes cause?
    Very few. Over a five year period that I checked, cyclists were involved in two deaths with pedestrians (compared to pedestrians 500 killed by cars). One of those incidents resulted in the pedestrian falling, without impact from the cyclist. I was unable to trace the other.

Cyclist deaths in single vehicle accidents tend to be more falls than collisions.

Advertisement