Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Park - Dog Poo

Options
  • 16-05-2008 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know whether or not this has to be cleaned up? I mean after all, there is deer and horse poo all over the place up there. I'm not talking about pathways/roadways. I mean in the fields where dogs are let to run loose.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Does anyone know whether or not this has to be cleaned up? I mean after all, there is deer and horse poo all over the place up there. I'm not talking about pathways/roadways. I mean in the fields where dogs are let to run loose.

Dunno, but I jog there all the time and have never stepped in any.

I doubt its a major issue tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Can't say I've noticed much. It's not a huge problem in the park.

Remember Dog Poo is much more dangerous to children thatn that of Horses or Deer!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I thought it was an offence to not pick up after your Dog.

Makes no odds that the Park has deer, the are a wild animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭SnoozySuzie

They should make people clean up the horse poo so dogs cant roll in it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Fair enough about the deer being wild and living there... but the horse riders dont clean up after the horses.

With regards to it being 'dangerous to children'.... what are the children doing with it??!? For it to cause them harm I'd imagine they'd have to come into contact with it somehow, eg. by picking it up etc. Sould they not be supervised?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

RosieJoe wrote: »
    I thought it was an offence to not pick up after your Dog.

It is, in a public place, as far as I know all public places. But it's also just the right thing to do, I'd hate to step in someone else's dog poo just because they couldn't be bothered to pick it up. I always pick up after Jake immediately, even in the garden.
    With regards to it being 'dangerous to children'.... what are the children doing with it??!? For it to cause them harm I'd imagine they'd have to come into contact with it somehow, eg. by picking it up etc. Sould they not be supervised?

+1,
    children should be under control in public at all times, if offlead they should have a reliable recall and leave it command taught to them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Fair enough about the deer being wild and living there... but the horse riders dont clean up after the horses.

Stevie, I think you're just being facetious.:rolleyes: Children can contract a number of disease causing agents that are transmitted from dog feces, including one that causes blindness. They are picked up from playing in grass or on soil affected as a result of the dog poo. This does not occur with horse droppings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Have to agree with you on the horse issue. Even the Garda do not pick up after their horses, even if they foul on the street. Reason given at the time was that it would be too expensive and time consuming to train the horses to get used to their "nappies" (for want of a better term)

As for the danger to Children lark, this is the standard response on Boards to why you should pick up after your Dog (but it is a valid point). Bottom line is, pick up after your Dog as it is good manners to leave an area exactly as you found it. Also, not nice for other people to step around the mine field of sh*t!

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Any poo from a carnivore or omnivore should be picked up and disposed of to prevent spread of disease. Humans included :D Herbivore poo isn't as dangerous from what I remember.

Obviously if your dog decides to use just under a giant thorny bush as a toilet you won't be going in after it whereas you pick up poo from paths, open fields etc. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Have to agree with you on the horse issue. Even the Garda do not pick up after their horses, even if they foul on the street. Reason given at the time was that it would be too expensive and time consuming to train the horses to get used to their "nappies" (for want of a better term)

couldn't they use the Garda Reserves to follow the horses around with a wheel barrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Have to agree with you on the horse issue. Even the Garda do not pick up after their horses,

Jesus, imagine the size of the poo bag!! It would be like a Dunnes Stores Bag! :p And they'd be shoving into the bins in the park! :eek: I wonder which is worse, leaving in a field yonder or clogging up public bins with it. A last doggy poop is relatively small and neat!

Advertisement