Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCT Leeway?

Options
  • 16-05-2008 4:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I have a car that was registered in early may 2004, and never got an NCT letter. Just checked there and it's overdue its NCT. I'm going to book it in, but I'm wondering if guards usually stop people, and how lenient are they going to be if I somehow get pulled in the next few weeks pre-test?

Ta.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,549 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Hey all,

I have a car that was registered in early may 2004, and never got an NCT letter. Just checked there and it's overdue its NCT. I'm going to book it in, but I'm wondering if guards usually stop people, and how lenient are they going to be if I somehow get pulled in the next few weeks pre-test?

Ta.

How out of date are we talking, there is a big backlog in many areas, so if you are a month or two gone, and have a booking, you will be grand.

But if there is something else (tax, damaged light etc) they might say something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

I'm literally 2 weeks out of date, and the car will probably pass even without a service, so sounds like I might be ok.

Now to get a service and NCT booking asap :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I've very rarely heard of someone being done just for having no NCT - I think they'll generally only do you for it if your tax or insurance are also out, or you've committed some other offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

In the motors board there have been cases of people being pulled for NCT when they were 4 years out of date and obviously deliberately avoiding it. Two weeks is not likely to be problem, for one thing just looking at the reg plate it would be hard to say whether the car was due in May or June, whereas if it was an 03 then it would be clearly overdue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Have your appointment slip in the car with you, should help :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 leeway

Hi okay so heres my story....
    My NCT cert says the 15 june i vaguely noticed this back in january when i bought the car but i was doing my leaving cert:( so in the weeks coming up to it i just totally forgot about it...(and this is my first car so i dont really know what to do ), so that date has gone by now and i need to book a test however the only available time slot in my centre according to the website is 11.05 on the 7th of july but i will be on holidays abroad and i dont have anyone who could bring it to the centre for me at the time so it is not possible for me to take that slot, after seeing this i tryed to find a time after that but the website only shows dates up to a certain time in august and apparently that date on the 7th july is the ONLY time between now and august that i can get my car tested:eek:....so my questions are

1. Is the information on the website right?
    2. If it is, is there any way i can take a cancellation date?
    3. Am I able to keep driving my car even though i can't even book a test at the moment?
    4. and if i get a test date, somehow and its months away what happens if i keep driving my car between now and then?

please help!!thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

leeway wrote: »
    Hi okay so heres my story....
    My NCT cert says the 15 june i vaguely noticed this back in january when i bought the car but i was doing my leaving cert:( so in the weeks coming up to it i just totally forgot about it...(and this is my first car so i dont really know what to do ), so that date has gone by now and i need to book a test however the only available time slot in my centre according to the website is 11.05 on the 7th of july but i will be on holidays abroad and i dont have anyone who could bring it to the centre for me at the time so it is not possible for me to take that slot, after seeing this i tryed to find a time after that but the website only shows dates up to a certain time in august and apparently that date on the 7th july is the ONLY time between now and august that i can get my car tested:eek:....so my questions are

3. Am I able to keep driving my car even though i can't even book a test at the moment?
    4. and if i get a test date, somehow and its months away what happens if i keep driving my car between now and then?

please help!!thanks...

Give NCT a ring and ask them if you be tested earlier in another centre (Dublin has 7 days a week testing and some late night spots as well if it is commutable for you) You don't have to go to a local centre though it obviously is more convenient for people to do so.

Alternatively, you could get a friend or family member to present the car at the test centre for you; I did this with my Dad's car some years ago and there was no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I think it might be worth your while just turning up and pleading your case. Go early on a Sunday, they always seem to be quiet then.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

leeway wrote: »
    there have been claims that phoning the NCTS can throw up times that aren't on the website.
    I think its a matter of showing up in the morning and waiting around to see if there is a spot available sometime during the day.
    It would be illegal.
    Anything from nothing to the Garda confiscating your vehicle and charging you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 leeway

thanks for all your replys heres whats going on:

I can't go to dublin i live way too far away(but good idea).... cork is as far as i can venture but its the same story with trying to book a date in the rest of the cork centres......

as for getting a family member/friend to drop it off for me...ill be on holiday with all my friends, my parents don't drive and my siblings that are able to drive don't live near enough to help....and besides i checked this morning and the date that i found last night is gone:(

i live in a pretty remote place so hopefully i wont meet any gards because no matter what it looks like ill have to drive it without having got my test......

i swear next time ill NCT it MONTHS before i have to, this is seriously ruining the stuff i need to do like its not even stuff i just want to do....and ive been working mad hours at the moment so the only times i can even think about this **** is late at night when i just get sick of it!!

i think my best bet is ringing up but of course flipping phone lines are only open monday to thursday..so we'll wait and see wat that turns up! i'll let ye know...failing any help there i think ill just show up and beg...if i ever get a day off to do it that is........:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement