Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suppliers of dog fences?

Options
  • 15-05-2008 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Anyone know suppliers of dog fences, (or suitable alternatives) not the electric kind but the kind where they can see out. Its for collies who are kept outside and I dont want to keep them tied up if we are gone.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Some hardware shops (Arro and Homevalue hardware are two) do dog runs, pet safe dog runs but for the price of them they are fairly flimsy but you can check them out as some hardware shops have them set up on display.

Or there is my personal favourite http://www.cilldara.ie/dog-runs.asp I have a collie and have been using them for years with no problems bit pricey but the dog runs will probably out live us all lol. They deliver nationwide.

There's a crowd in cork that do similar ones as well, can't remember the name but think I saw the number in the Golden pages.

There's a crowd in Dublin too I think C&D dog kennels or something like that they are called sorry I can't remember it.

Pet Expo is on in Dublin and Cork (not sure where you are based) this year and there will be some stalls with dog runs, there were the last time so no doubt will be again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Have you tried your local hardware shops/builders suppliers? You can get fencing at my local feed suppliers and village shop.

If they are to be kept outside all the time, you'd be better off fencing as large an area as possible (i.e. the whole garden if possible) IMO the cill dara runs etc are OK for short term use but seem a bit small for long term use.

you could do a post and chain link fence about 6' high which I think would be high enough to keep the collies in and also see through. there's also the benefit that it is quite economical. we have 4' high one to keep ours in because they aren't jumpers.

you could then put patio slabs around the edges if they are diggers, and then put a garden shed or a large kennel (depending on how many dogs there are) for a nice comfortable shelter for them. IMO garden sheds are brilliant for dogs if they must stay outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Cill dara runs are not too small for long term use unless you only buy the small panels, if I put all my panels together they are the size of a townhouse garden. You ca add panels over time as well.
    Adding a shed is a good idea but timber sheds can become too hot in summer so cutting a hole in the door and eventually adding a dog flap works with an attached dog run so the dog is never trapped in the shed and can't get out.

Fencing wise timber post and strong chainlink wire work, depending on your garden FRS (farm relief services) do it but they tend to come in with big machinery so if the garden is in good nick it could ruine the lawn.

Guess it all depends on budget and the size and shape of the garden, if you have a wall to put a dog run up against you save on a panel so you can make the run wide with that panel.

Advertisement