Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

keyboard won't work - can't re-install

Options
  • 15-05-2008 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

I installed some RAM the other day and afterwards my keyboard wouldn't work

the keyboard works fine on other computers and other keyboards have been tried on the computer with the issue. it's a usb keyboard and my pc has no ps/2 port.

I'm using a dell dimension e521 running vista home premium

what i've done so far:
    - tried removing the ram but it made no difference
    - tried system restore to a time before the issue, it made no difference
    - the keyboard works in the bios setup
    - it doesn't work in safe mode
    - i can press f8 at the splash screen during boot and get into which boot mode i want to use
    - there is no keyboard listed in device manager

- if i start in safe mode, plug the keyboard in after it has booted it detects the new hardware but gets to a point saying:
    "the driver installation file for this device is missing a necessary entry. this may be because the INF was written for Windows 95 or later. Contact your hardware vendor"

- i can't find my original dell xp discs or my vista upgrade disc if they would be needed

any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

What make/model of keyboard?
    Have you tried plugging it into another USB port?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

dell but microsoft keyboard doesn't work either

tried in all the usb ports which all work with other devices

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Same machine at work. Needed to upgrade the BIOS to get keyboard working. It should work if it's the only USB device plugged in but the BIOS update should fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Hey James, I have a Vista Upgrade disk you can use should you require it. It's Dave from The Button Factory by the way.

Mods: I believe this is legal since he will be using his own key and the way that Vista Upgrade disks work since they contain all Vista OS types. If my assumption is incorrect and this is illegal please remove this post with my apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

Soundman wrote: »
    Hey James, I have a Vista Upgrade disk you can use should you require it. It's Dave from The Button Factory by the way.

cheers dave, got it sorted, it's a bios issue as it's up on dells website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

DotOrg wrote: »
    cheers dave, got it sorted, it's a bios issue as it's up on dells website

Ah good stuff. Glad it was an easy enough sort.

Advertisement