Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Nuvi 250 worth buying?

Options
  • 15-05-2008 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭

Hi, i'm looking for some advice on buying a sat nav. I need to get one over the next few days so unfortunately I can't purchase one over the net.

I've been looking at this one: http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/test_new/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=23080

Just wondering does anyone have any advice on this? Are the maps decent? Can it be updated via the net?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

The thing about the 200 series is the gps reciever is less sensative, according to my friend who partially runs an online satnav store they reduce
    the prices alot on the 250 to shift them. Their grand to use but has a cheaper
    chipset. I'd go with the 300 range to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,382 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I had a 310 which was stolen and I now have a 250 and do not at all agree with that comment. The 250 is just as good as the 310, it's even better when you consider that it doesn't have that silly popup antenna which makes you look like a lost Martian when you use it on the hoof while walking along the street.

My 250 uses SIRF chips so is technically just as good as the 300 series. What you don't get is Bluetooth, the MP3 player, or the earphone socket but the maps are the same and the navigation s/w is the same. I never used the advanced features on my 310 so when it was stolen I bought a 250 and am 100% happy with it.

Suggest you consider buying from www.elara.ie as you can pick up from Park West, Peats is very expensive if you have already done the research and know exactly what you want. According to their respective websites Peats are charging 199.99, elara are 139.99 - nuf said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Thanks - does anyone know a good place to get them in Dublin city? Peats seems a bit expensive.

www.elara.ie is quoting 139.99 for the Nuvi 250 and you can pick up from their place in Park West so save on carriage but don't go near the place on Fridays, getting out of Alcatraz is easier.

Extract from review of Nuvi 250 on www.gpsmagazine.com ...............

I was skeptical that the nuvi 250's internal antenna would perform as well as the fold-out type patch antenna. However, in my testing the two performed identically. The nuvi 250 was just as sensitive as the more expensive nuvi 660

http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2007/04/garmin_nuvi_250_indepth_review.php?page=3

Q.E.D.

Cool thanks. I kinda have to get it over the weekend though - do you know of anywhere cheaper than Peats in Dublin where you can buy without waiting 1/2 days (Elara seems to have a bit of delay before you can pick it up according to their site).

• Advertisement

www.expansys.ie are pretty good if you're prepared to pay for DHL delivery, if the item is in stock and you order before 3 p.m. you'll have it by lunchtime the following day but they don't have the Nuvi 250 in stock at the moment.

www.mysatnav.ie are quoting Eur 213 for the 250 plus a 'free' leather case which is a pretty essential accessory to protect the screen from getting scratched, this came as standard with the 300 I bought originally but it doesn't come with the 250. They say that they have the 250 in stock so I suggest you give them a ring http://www.mysatnav.ie/garmin-nuvi-250

You could also try phoning your nearest branch of Halfords and/or PC World to see what they're quoting but these guys can have old stock with V9 maps when the mail order guys would tend to all be now shipping 2008 (v10) maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MeWantBroadband

Currys/Dixons/PC World (same company) have them in-store for €169.

I am not in a hurry like you, so I bought one online from Elara - ~€150 with delivery. Ordered Weds, arrived Friday.

If you are prepared to take time off work, you could pop over to their warehouse (ParkWest I think - look it up) and shave a day and €10 delivery off that. You need to arrange it with them first though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I got the Nuvi 270 online from the UK for €227.00 Nice unit, neat clear and easy to use. The 270 has US maps built in, which I need for the US in August, but there is some great value in the 2xx series in Currys etc.

That's a helluvala lot cheaper than www.expansys.ie who are looking for 299.95 for the 270, would you like to tell us who you bought it from?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

coylemj wrote: »
    That's a helluvala lot cheaper than www.expansys.ie who are looking for 299.95 for the 270, would you like to tell us who you bought it from?

Sorry, didn't think of that:confused:

I got it from Global Gizmos in the UK - Order ws a bit messy to begin with ut once they sorted them selves out it was ok.

http://globalgizmos.co.uk/

• Advertisement

Hey, thanks for all the advice. I ended up getting the Garmin Nuvi 200W 4.3" Widescreen as i was in a bit of a rush. Working grand so far - except i seem to have misplaced the cradle that the unit sits into. so i've had to sellotape it onto the dash for now. :(
    Other than that it's great.

Advertisement