Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neutering/spaying cats

Options
  • 15-05-2008 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭

How much would you expect to pay a vet for neutering/spaying?

I ask because there's this guy I know, lives in a house his parents own but he and his friends rent it from the parents. A stray cat had kittens in their shed, they decided to call an animal welfare group about looking after/ rehoming them. Grand so.

But now he's decided he's rather keep them (the cat and three kittens) that would be fine too except that he's leaving the country in a year so there'll be noone to look after them (that's stupid part number 1, but that's not why I started the thread), Here's the best bit... he won't get them spayed or neutered as he thinks it'll cost too much!!

So I can't do anything about him keeping the cats, but I'm wondering general costs of spaying/neutering as I need to at least convince him to do that much. I'd help out with money myself if necessary.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I've only had dealings with one cat and he was a stray. Think it cost around €100 to have him done but that was a couple of years ago and it also involved treating a couple of other small wounds he had from fighting so not all of that might have been the neuter iyswim.

The best idea is to first of all get in contact with your local SPCA/Rescue Group and see if they can help out, I know they offered us money back for the cat we got done but we figured we could afford it and some other animal would need it far worse. I would also ring around your local vets and see what price they quote. The kittens can't be done until they're around 6 months I think.

Try to talk your friend out of keeping the cats if he's only going to leave them there in a year. Kittens will be much easier to rehome while they are small rather than a year old. Also by that stage, if he doesn't neuter/spay they'll have had litters of their own and he'll be leaving alot more than 4 cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I paid 70 for the female cat and 40 for the male when I got them done.

Your friend really isn't being very sensible about this, is he?!! Keep nagging though! Or maybe just kidnap them and find good homes yourself. He'll think they just mysteriously wandered off again. :D

Advertisement