Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dconstructing bell_boy (Lawrence the American)

Options
  • 15-05-2008 10:28am
    Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭

Lawrence has reqested a well thread as a milestone of sorts for him, albeit not a posting one, is coming up. After 3 years or thereabouts in Dublin, he is going back to the States full time to work. He has spent a chunk of that time here playing Omaha in the Fitz as well as tournies in various establishments arond Dublin.

Before he goes he would like anyone that has played with him to offer their opinions, views etc on him. This does not open the door for all low post types to start these threads. This is purely an abuse of powah on my behalf :)

Usual rules apply etc, good luck Lawrence.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I might as well start then.

Omaha - Definitely one of the better players in the game in the Fitz and probably the most aggressive. I think the main weakness in this game that you have is that can be too aggressive in certain spots. You cbet too much I think, especially considering the 50 game in the Fitz is high on calling station types. There are times when I have noticed people check raising you a lot more than normal on flops as you tend to follow through on your preflop raises a lot more than most. You also somewhat subscribe to the big pot or broke theory whereby you sometimes get your dough in, in a very marginal spot.

Also, the lone A and blockers are something that you should target more closely I think. I have probably noticed you getting caught (and also getting through a lot I'd imagine) than most people. You are good for the game though, but not in the same way that Pat Doyle or Stewie are. You make people think about their game a lot, put a lot of pressure on, make people make more marginal calls, and think about the hand and previous a lot more. You certainly are not an ABC player, by our standard anyhow. It'll be sad to lose you from the game Lawrence. Also, I've never heard anyone say a bad word about you (except giving out about a call you made, etc), and I've only ever seen you get annoyed once.

As for Holdem, bluff less.

Obviously you think a hell of a lot more about the game than most people in the 50 game, and you are a hell of a lot better at the game than me, so use a large pinch of salt with the above, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

he could smile a bit more ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

I agree you could defo smile more Lawrence but you are a good lad to have at the table, quiet but not rude.

Holdem- Havent played a huge amount with you just some tourneys, I always thought you were a very good TAG player and once you got in a pot you are dead set on not letting it get away from you. Sometimes you can be too agressive but as i say ive played very little with you in Holdem.

Omaha- Ive played with you a good bit in the 50 game, you are one of the better players in a tough game however you can be a bit spewy at times. The last time I played with you I was suprised at a couple of hands you played badly. One you hand you got it in 3 ways against me and Peter Heslin with the last of it going in on the flop, you had JJ95 and hit a house on a 955xx board. For the action that had taken place pre flop you should have never been in the pot and i found it very spewy. I agree with Dom about the big pot or broke theory and this was obviously one of those cases. As Dom said dont c'bet as much. Ypu seem to have a good temperment and play well so keep it up, if you can find an Omaha game at home with your fellow yanks you should clean up!!!

All the best in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭William Money

it is a testimony to my dgen poker lifestyle that i am typing this
    at 11 am (sans sleep btw)

the sun is shining and those feathery little ****s are chirping outside my
    window
    hang on a sec (gets shotgun) - baaam - ah silence is golden!!

so lawrence wants a well does he, wants opinions on his play he says, where will it all end, why next hell be looking his money back!!

and worse still what if PAT gets wind of this well (and boards) and realises that aflush draw is in fact an underdog to top set.
    "what do u have ronan" pat asks
    "top set" i reply
    "you" i enquire
    "not much" (flush draw) he admits
    "Buy in please" i say resignedly

Following comments represent Omaha Cash game play mainly.
    Some strenghts include - aggression
    you are a very strong player and represent without hesitation
    you put players under intense pressure with strong bets and use position well
    however you do this to calling stations without enough outs to make it profitable.
    also you have a tendency to be aggressive oop again with not enough outs
    to be profitable
    A tightly selectively aggressive Lawrence would be very scary.

Your mathematical skills are amazing so that gives you an edge in those
    situations where the rest of us go ah its a coinflip. you would know its
    actually 55/45

Reading skills - getting better but still think you need to put a bit more effort
    into what the other guys range is.

Patience - lightly lacking (like me) you want to be involved and play a semi decent hand UTG hit a oesd and bad fd and do your bollox to a trapping
    SOB on the button.

You are a good cash game player Lawrence but if you tweaked some leaks
    you could be better.

I have always felt you could be a very strong tournament player and I know you have done well in several hold em tournies and cashed in the
    Irish Open Omaha.
    Your fearlessness and agression and strong positional play and mathematical
    skills seem tailor made for tourney success.

A little bit of coaching also would probably do wonders for your game.

Ill post more as I think of it.

PS.
    your attitude at the table is top class, absolutely gracious when losing or
    winning and always with a smile (well nearly always)
    not a grumpy ****er like me - i cant even be happy getting a slice of
    cake!!!
    As collette doherty put it very simply "nice fella that Lawrence"

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Don't talk to Lawrence about cake, he still tries to get me to order some for him.

• Advertisement

after the cake incident Everbody wants you to order cake for them!!

Im surprised Mr Kipling himself didnt arrive in and present it personally
    to you that night!!

They wouldnt even give me a scabby bit of cream from the box it came in
    sniff sniff

when is your last night playing in the fitz lawrence?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

one of my favourite regulars in the Fitz. I haven't got a bad word to say about Lawrence.
    I'll be very sorry to see you go.

I have very little criticism. Like ronan and Dominick I would agree that sometimes you are overly aggressive in spots where aggression enough won't be enough to win the hand (eg bluffing calling stations), but I really don't think this is a big problem.

I think you're an excellent hold'em player too - you had a good touch in the No Limit game in the fitz recently and I remember having an interesting conversation about your strategy the next day.

I think your best quality is your ability to adapt to game dynamics. Any other criticisms I can think of I'll discuss with you over a pint!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

i always though you were tight! good read :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭bell_boy

when is your last night playing in the fitz lawrence?

Thanks for all the replies so far. Just back from the US, so I'll respond to some of the points as soon as I can.

I'm in Ireland 16th-31st May and again in 23rd-30th June. That last week of June will be filled with the last time doing this, that and the other thing.

The Fitz will certainly be one of the last. Let's plan for a few pints when it gets closer.

Lawrence

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭con_leche

Sat beside you at IO Omaha cash table.

1. Gentleman at the table.

2. Better technical understanding of game than most.

3. Good aggression, but you probably played a few too many pots, and can occassionally fall victim to FPS, getting a large % of the tank across the line in marginal situations.

4. If you trammel/funnel the agression, with your understanding of equities etc., you would be +eV in quite a big game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 TableImage

I see a Lawrence Cowsar listed amongst the chip leaders after day one of wsop event 24, 'the round of each' as we say in the fitz.

That's you Lawrence isn't it?...I know you intended to play this event.

I'm not at all surprised that you are doing well!...bring the braclet Home to the Fitz!!!!!!

Ray G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭bell_boy

Thanks. As I said in the other thread, I finished 71st. Short of the money, but had a good time. I'll be back in Ireland on Friday.

Advertisement