Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being let go, Procedures?

Options
  • 15-05-2008 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

*In perm employment for 1.5 years
    *Notice period of 2 weeks
    *Told that I will be let go & given 1 month pay as a golden handshake
    *Reason; Business needs have changed, Role is made redundant.

Is this kosher?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Xcellor

For every year you work you get two weeks pay. So if you have worked one and a half years then you would be entitled to 3 weeks pay.

It bites though! I think you are entitled to have time off for attending interviews etc so make sure you utilize this to the full.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Xcellor wrote: »
    For every year you work you get two weeks pay. So if you have worked one and a half years then you would be entitled to 3 weeks pay.

Misinformation! That only applies if you have worked two years first to get the payoff in your post.

The OP has worked more than 13 weeks but less than 2 years. So unless there is something in their contract, they can be let go with just a weeks notice. There seems to be two weeks notice going by Post 1
    And a common misconception is if you are paid a salary monthly than you have to get a months notice. It doesn't work like that!

The OP is getting more than they are entitled to. Unless they want to go back and negoitate for more then they may as well accept it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I think it's a good deal.

If you force them to make you redundant, you'll probably only get two weeks pay. I know it'll be tax free, but as far as I know you can only have one tax free redundancy payment in your life, so no point wasting it on this small payoff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Its also important that they specified that the role was being made redundant rather than yourself..
    Bummer !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

nubaraka wrote: »
    Is this kosher?
    Yes.

As noted by the previous poster the real deal breaker here is the fact they claim the position is gone, based on this you don't have a come back, on the other hand if they advertise the position (with a new name but same requirements) in the next 6(?) months they have to have made an offer to you first. It was a while before I read up on the redundancy laws though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

micmclo wrote: »
    Misinformation! That only applies if you have worked two years first to get the payoff in your post.

The OP has worked more than 13 weeks but less than 2 years. So unless there is something in their contract, they can be let go with just a weeks notice. There seems to be two weeks notice going by Post 1
    And a common misconception is if you are paid a salary monthly than you have to get a months notice. It doesn't work like that!

The OP is getting more than they are entitled to. Unless they want to go back and negoitate for more then they may as well accept it.

Micmclo: Just to confirm what you have said here. if no contract, then one weeks notice is all that is required from either side: employee has worked 6 months in catering: no contract. Thanks

Advertisement