Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good value?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Pajero's are widely regarded as 1 of the best 4x4 with good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

I test drove on before I bought my Terrano and I was very impressed. They are rather wide though and economy is not great but that seems very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

You wont go too far wrong buying a Jap 4x4, the pajero is one of the best of them. Always was a good machine since day one, and they have retained their reliability factor. Good for towing too, but If it was me I'd have to get a LWB one with body coloured bumpers, they look way nicer in my opinion. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Seems good value. I could be wrong but i think the LWB are more desirable. Depends on that u want. As said u can't go too far wrong with a Jap 4x4

Personally I've always gone for a LWB in every jeep I've bought. I dont thrust the SWB on tarmac at speed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

I have the older 2.8 SWB commercial and its a good jeep. Its been very reliable over the 4 years that I've had it, it only broken down once but that was a major flywheel issue.

That 3.2 seems quite cheap,maybe because it has no VAT invoice. It looks clean from those photos,but there are no photos of the inside of the back, so you'd want to find out what work its done, heavy towing and the like. The Pajeros are generally quite heavy on diesel, I'd reckon that you'd get high 20s with that one though.

Forgot to say, make sure to check the service history as the add doesnt mention anything about it. The 3.2 is an old school diesel and needs its oil changed every 6000 miles. I would be very wary of buying it if the oil hasnt been regularly changed!

farva wrote: »
    The Pajeros are generally quite heavy on diesel, I'd reckon that you'd get high 20s with that one though.

The newer pajeros aren't near as bad as the second generation ones. I have a 1993 2.5 that gets 25 mpg:eek:, but my boss has a 2006 3.2 and gets over 30mpg. Pajeros always had a bad reputation when it came to fuel comsumption, but I don't think that this is still the case with the newer ones like the one above.

The newer pajeros aren't near as bad as the second generation ones. I have a 1993 2.5 that gets 25 mpg:eek:, but my boss has a 2006 3.2 and gets over 30mpg. Pajeros always had a bad reputation when it came to fuel comsumption, but I don't think that this is still the case with the newer ones like the one above.

Your probably right, I've heard that the sport is very heavy on the juice for a 2.5. If you go for an auto its game over, MK2/MK3 autos get around 17mpg:eek:!! I've got a 97' 2.8 SWB manual and I get about 24, actually thinking about it 24 is quite bad! Especially with the price of diesel now! I thought that your 2.5 would have gotten 28mpg, Is it a LWB?

Yea its LWB and its been turned down so its painfully SLOW! You'd think it would be easy on diesel then, but no:(. I reckon the low ratio gearbox has alot to do with fuel consumption on the older models. At 120kmph my engine is doing nearly 4000rpm where as my boses is at 3000rpm. That was the only real issue regarding pajeros.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Yea its LWB and its been turned down so its painfully SLOW! You'd think it would be easy on diesel then, but no:(. I reckon the low ratio gearbox has alot to do with fuel consumption on the older models. At 120kmph my engine is doing nearly 4000rpm where as my boses is at 3000rpm. That was the only real issue regarding pajeros.

Seems a bit high.You sure your o/d is switched off!!!!!!!!!
    Though I reckon if your od is off it would probably be up around 5/6k @120

The only time I used the low range on my old pajero sport (manual 16mpg) was for puling boats up the slipway and as the gearstick clicked into position the fuel gauge used to drop about 1/8 of a tank. Have to admit though there was a lot of power from that engine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

hmmmmmmmm, she's been valeted well for the sale.... ........and the steering wheel looks very smooth in the pics......
    Tread very carefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

I wouldn't be too concerned about the valeting.... I think I'd probaly get a jeep valeted if I was trying to sell it too. It says it's got a full mitsubishi service history too so that would be a bit of reassurance to me, gonna give him a call tomorrow and try and organise a viewing for the weekend.

Really, even if its been valeted to within an inch of its life?
    Service history is important on these. I had one of em, it was ok, but my mate Eamonn had to get the gearbox done on his to the cost of 2k.......nasty!
    With these, you always need about 2k under the bed regardless of them being a jap jeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

Really, even if its been valeted to within an inch of its life?/QUOTE]

Would you prefer to see a manky, uncared for looking jeep?:D

I see it's down to 12000 now.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Slig wrote: »
    Personally I've always gone for a LWB in every jeep I've bought. I dont thrust the SWB on tarmac at speed.

Really? Does the SWB feel unstable or something?

I have a SWB and I wouldn't call it unstable, to be honest I've never driven the equivelent LWB but I have read a lot of 4x4 reviews that say the LWB rides better and is more comfortable.

I can't see how anyone "wouldn't trust" a SWB on tarmac!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭maims3875

SWB's are what I call "giddy" on the road and are not comfortable like the LWB models, it depends what you will use the vehicle for, if your farming, pulling animal trailers in and out of tight spaces, plus the odd bit of going offroad, the the SWB would be better, for everything else the LWB is a more sensible choice.

Get the vehicle checked out, and test drive the vehicle hard, Mitsuibishi's smoke a lot, and you should look out for excessive smoke.Be careful with cheaps priced at an apparent bargain, it is usually for a reason.

I had a Mitsi for 15 years from new, done over 330K (miles) and gave very little trouble, and is still going strong today for the new owner. it done about 28mpg, 20mpg with a load.

Judging by the pictures, that might be the closest it got to grass, ask if the present owner has used it for rough work, I doubt it given the location of the jeep for the picture. They may be fed up with filling it up with fuel every few days!!!

E. Fudd wrote: »
    Really, even if its been valeted to within an inch of its life?/QUOTE]

Would you prefer to see a manky, uncared for looking jeep?:D

I see it's down to 12000 now.....

No, but a keen eye will spot past a thorough valet/clean/steam clean. There's nothing the vendor can do about that shine of the steering wheel tho!
    And she's down to 12 now.........made to move her on........is there a story with it?
    As i said - thread carefully.
    and have 2k under the bed.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

there good but they like all jeep need ball bearings oiled and such regularlly and if this isnt done its generally reflected in the price.... ;)

besides you could get an izusu trooper for that kinda money on a 05-06 reg.... the People 4x4

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

maims3875 wrote: »
    SWB's are what I call "giddy" on the road and are not comfortable like the LWB models, it depends what you will use the vehicle for, if your farming, pulling animal trailers in and out of tight spaces, plus the odd bit of going offroad, the the SWB would be better, for everything else the LWB is a more sensible choice.

Going OT here, where as a SWB might be good for reversing big trailers in tight spaces, I find LWBs to be way more stable on the road, the trailer pushs the back end of a SWB around to much and makes for a scary ride. I'm mainly taking about LR discoverys and defenders here, but I'd imagine its similar for all.

4krpm at 120kph is crazy! You would be deaf after an hour in that! The old lads 6speed vectra only does about 2200 rpm at 120.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I have a LWB 2.8L Paj and she's pushing around 2500rpm at 60mph on an auto box.

That said, I rarely make it over 60 and I'm lucky if I get 20mpg out of her even at that. :(

used to have a 2.2L Primera and could get 45-50mpg out of that driving at the same speeds.

OP, maybe your overdrive button is busted? if you get up to about 50-60mph and you push it in or out (a little button just below the knob to put her in reverse) does it make any difference to the RPM of the engine?

Advertisement