Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Miller Chain Snap in Giro

Options
  • 14-05-2008 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭

Anyone see Millars chain snap towards the very end of todays stage of the Giro,he then throws the bike over the barrier (Bjarne Rise style) in complete frustration, 5 or 6 grands worth,would he have won?,chess on wheels.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

bunnygreen wrote: »
    Anyone see Millars chain snap towards the very end of todays stage of the Giro,he then throws the bike over the barrier (Bjarne Rise style) in complete frustration, 5 or 6 grands worth,would he have won?,chess on wheels.

bet ya he uses shimano:D:D:D:D:D

id be off down the hill after the bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭ba

just read bout this on eurosport. cannot wait to see the highlights tonight. poor bloke, i'da like to seen him get the stage victory.

bet his mechanic is sh*tting a brick, he probably saw a cracked link the night before and did nothing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The Crunch

I think it's SRAM, isn't it? And they come highly recommended by just about everyone (except Millar)...

The Crunch wrote: »
    I think it's SRAM, isn't it? And they come highly recommended by just about everyone (except Millar)...

puts words in mounth, and eats them:D:D

he was shock loading!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

The Crunch wrote: »

No its shimano and not Sram

He should have been on Campag LOL
    Reminds me of the 2003 tour de france when he dropped a chain in prolou and would have won But he came second by one tenth of a second to Brad Magee

• Advertisement

he should have taken boards.ie advice and he would have won the stage!!!!!!!!:D:D

shimano chains suck!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

He was probably pedalling too hard.

Millar had a bit of a fit in the Vuelta a few years ago IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

He's a great example. All over the UK this weekend 14 year-old kids will be throwing their bikes around in hissy fits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

kona wrote: »
    bet ya he uses shimano:D:D:D:D:D

I know how it feels to snap a chain. Damn Sh*tmano

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Slow coach wrote: »
    He's a great example. All over the UK this weekend 14 year-old kids will be throwing their bikes around in hissy fits.

How many 14 year old kids in the UK do you think watch cycling? Didn't you know it's for sissies and homos? Real men have silly haircut and play football!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SACH Central

Reminds me of Rudy Dhannens in the '88/'89 TdF. He was away on his own, stage won, about 500 MTRS from the finish. There was a 90deg. bend (it was crap organisation to have a bend like that so close to the finish on a flat 'sprinters' stage) he rolled a tub off, I think, his back wheel. He picked the bike up and f****d it into the crash barriers. Terrible bad luck......and then there was Robert Millar, again in the TdFwith a mountain stage won, only to be directed the wrong way (to the team car, carpark) by a none too bright gendarme

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Just seen it now. Poor f*cker...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

He's made out to be some kind of hero, not unlike Tom Simpson. He's a cheat... end of!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Saw it last night. Looks like he whacked his crotch off the top tube. Nice bike toss though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

There's only one answer. KMC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

If only we could toss our bikes like that.

Hermy wrote: »
    He's made out to be some kind of hero, not unlike Tom Simpson. He's a cheat... end of!

I dont know about hero but he did get caught served his time and has helped the uci to improve drug testing. Dont know if his advice was taken by the uci thats another story. I would say he is clean now he get the benifit of the doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

el tonto wrote: »
    Saw it last night. Looks like he whacked his crotch off the top tube. Nice bike toss though.

That's what I thought too, it's nasty when you're out of the saddle and something like that happens :)

I dont know about hero but he did get caught served his time and has helped the uci to improve drug testing. Dont know if his advice was taken by the uci thats another story. I would say he is clean now he get the benifit of the doubt.

Sorry about the throw-away remark. What sticks in my craw about Millar is the remarks he made in the immediate aftermath of the expulsion of Vino from the 2007 Tour de France. He had the nerve to criticise the U.C.I. on it's anti-doping policies, almost blaming them for the whole sorry mess when he and many others like him are solely to blame for the doping in professional cycling.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

I think the UCI are to blame for the level of doping in pro cycling. For years and years they ignored the problem and pretended that it didn't exist. It wasn't really until the Festina incident that they were forced to admit there was a problem and even then, it took them a few years to put proper measures in place. The result of this is doping became nearly accepted in the peleton and there was the "everyone else is doing it" mentality.

Tom Simpson was a cheat too, let's not forget.

I never forget that Tom Simpson was a cheat but I don't accept that the U.C.I. are responsible for doping. The people responsible for doping are the dopers! Perhaps in the past there was not enough done to deal with the problem but when an athlete makes up his or her mind to take band substances for performance enhancement it is that athletes fault alone that they have decided to cheat.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Yeah, to a certain extent. But if doping becomes to be seen to be acceptable then some of the blame passes to the authorities. Riders coming into the peleton for years were being left with the choice of don't dope and spend their career at the back of the peleton or dope and at least bring themselves up to the same level as the rest of the peleton.

Or bring themselves down to the level of the peleton, if you like. It's a terrible shame that doping seems to be so much the rule rather than the exception and that these so-called professionals are not man enough to clean up their sport.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

couldn't happen to a nicer guy! lied and lied till he was caught red handed, threatened to sue Kimmage if he wrote anything about him,wouldn't speak to Kimmage because he said, He was bad for cycling!
    Bryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

Millar has always had a bad attitude,too cool for skool sort of thing,i wonder how hes going to feel when he hits his late thirties and his career is over,whats the options for an ex cyclist with a drug past?,id like to hear him say that its a f***ing privilege to be a pro cyclist,sure hes got talent but i think hes really under used it and behaves like cycling owes him something.

Millar has always had a bad attitude,too cool for skool sort of thing,i wonder how hes going to feel when he hits his late thirties and his career is over,whats the options for an ex cyclist with a drug past?,id like to hear him say that its a f***ing privilege to be a pro cyclist,sure hes got talent but i think hes really under used it and behaves like cycling owes him something.

I dont think Miller will be finding it hard after he retires as he own part of slipstream team hence his move to them and if the team is not there in ten years BC will have no problem giving him a job.

he owns part of slipstream

And so the cycle continues ala Riis at CSC.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Procycling have a nice article about bike tossing in the light of this incident- Drama queens or passionate pedallers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 casprdko

BryanL wrote: »
    couldn't happen to a nicer guy! lied and lied till he was caught red handed, threatened to sue Kimmage if he wrote anything about him,wouldn't speak to Kimmage because he said, He was bad for cycling!
    Bryan

Amen. IMO, he is one of the most pathetic dopers out there ala Richard Virenque et al. For months he denied and denied. Called some other rider a nutter (or whatever the UK term) when the rider said Cofidis riders were doping. Even under police questioning he denied and denied until they showed him the evidence and then he breaks down. Now the media holds him up as a shinning example of the fight against drugs. LMAO. I just with the media would quit making him out to be some anti-drug saint. Too bad he bought his way onto Slipstream.

Advertisement