Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you put a subheading "preface" in a chapter entitled introduction?

Options
  • 14-05-2008 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

In my dissertation the first chapter is the introduction. there a few parts in it which I need to split into sub headings. The first bit is a broad introduction on the topic and concepts, the second is a bit on what I wanted to find out through the dissertation and the aims etc.

I was thinking of calling the first section of chapter one, preface. Does that make sense or is it stupid or out of context? What should I call it? Overview maybe or would that make sense? It is basically an introduction but I cant call it that again.

Chapter two is the background btw.

Apologies for the stupid question but I needs help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭markk06

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭dh2007

Susannahmia, is the introduction a chapter in itself? i.e. Chapter One? then each sub-heading should be 1.1, 1.2 etc. does this help?

if you want a preface write an abstract.

Good luck with the dissertation

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Doesn't sound right, tbh.

A preface is that - before the main body of work. An abstract is a very brief summary/introduction. You would not typically have a preface to a chapter.

Advertisement