Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anxiety

Options
  • 14-05-2008 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

anyone able to share their experiences with anxiety? ive been diagnosed as having an anxiety disorder a year ago. it came out of nowhere and it still hasnt left my body fully yet but i feel it should. do you fully get over anxiety disorders? anyone able to give some advise, thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 oldhairyman

anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Deadeyes

I have problems with anxiety, it's very common more common than you might think because most people become adept at hiding it by avoiding events that trigger it. In work at the moment so can't really post. I'll come back later tonight and provide what advice/help I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭kelly1979

hi, i too suffer with anxiety/ panic disorder. there is light at the end of the tunnel.
    i developed the disorder approx. 10years ago and ranged in severity at most severe was housebound for 2.5-3years
    after being housebound i was completly free of the disorder for a couple of years however it has now reared its ugly head again:(

my mistake is that i stopped therapy and meds once i was ok.

hi,
    my anxiety disorder was triggered by a very stressfull emotional period in my life about a year ago. before this event i had very little or no anxiety so im wondering is this a once off event for me and will the anxiety leave completely.
    The initial event that triggered the anxiety has been resolved in my head yet Im anxious now for some reason about my girlfriend. it kills me to be anxious about her looks, how much i love her, will i be with her forever, etc, etc all the time cos i genuinely love her to bits and i would love to be with her anxiety free. so what im wondering is does this unnecessary anxiety leave or what do i do cos i dont want to break up with my girlfriend in order to be anxiety free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭kelly1979

are you seeing a counsellor or therapist for your anxiety disorder?
    Cognitive behaviour therapy ( in my opinion) is good it helped me in the past in dealing with my anxious thoughts.

worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but dosen't get you anywhere.

i did cognitive behavioural therapy for 6 months and the original problems i had were all cleared up but this anxiety regarding my girlfriend wouldnt leave and the CBT councillor could do no more with me. im currently doing psychotherapy for "anxietys about uncertainties in life". i was referred to a psychotherapist following a months admission in St. John of Gods hospital.
    do you or anyone know from their experience is anxiety just a phase with a certain duration of time or how does one rid themselves of anxiety

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Hi OP
    I just posted about this on the thread below [effexor]. Sorry but I don't have time to post again. Forgot to mention on the other thread a book & cd called 'when panic attacks' which widely available and good.
    You'll be alright, fight it and refuse to give in. Make a plan what to do when it happens and stick to it.
    I was in John of God's too for a bit and it was the worst experience ever. I was way worse when I left because I thought there was no treatment available for me. Jesus I'm nearly panicking thinking about that place.
    Anyway, the valium thing works for me but don't get too caught in the medication cycle as it will never fix anything.
    Be well

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055108188&page=7

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

Ok here is my story I hope it is some use:

1. I started having anxiety for around 2 months
    2. After that I had 2 full blown panic attacks
    3. They were classed as severe
    4. The anxiety lasted 6/8 months in a bad way
    5. They (panic attacks) do go away
    6. You need help (go to the doctor get tablets)
    7. Don't stop taking them until the anxiety is completely gone
    8. The hardest time of my life by far
    9. You are a great person, you will be fine, the anxiety will calm and go away
    10. Read and learn about anxiety (very important)
    11. Stop smoking heavily and drinking and NO drugs
    12. Follow these steps and your head will go back to sharp and confident

This is my opinion, I never in my life taught I would suffer like this. You are at the hands of this most annoying and uncomfortable feeling ever. You must drink tons of water, it really does help. There is a book called 'panic attacks' it is good but some of the books recommended here are even better I heard. Keep your chin up the anxiety will not stay forever and remember that. It is hard work on you but you must believe in your self and be strong. Remember the anxiety will go, I was diagnosed with G.A.D, general anxiety disorder, it has changed my life forever, but I am sort of glad in another way. Best of luck and keep strong you are not alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Fatloss08

i have it 10 years

in that 10 years i havnt done the following

gone more than 20 miles from my house on my own
    gone on a bus
    got over them
    or used to them

I can go places when with parents which is messed up as i know logically if i get a bad panic attack , they cant make it go away thats for me to do , suppose it could be depency issues or something

in a way im think im fooked for life

went to numerous gp's , phycotherapists ( just interested in there hours worth ) phciatrist same

i did go to somebody and after that 1 session i felt better than i have ever , i had no fear or memory of anxiety at all and was free for that day

he does what paul mc kenna does NLP ( Nuero Linguistic Programming ) and Timeline therapy but doesnt do it anymore

im looking into doing CBT myself as ive heard good things

anybody in same boat as me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Noelieboats

mmmmmm ok I'll share, I have extreme anxiety have had for 3 years this year I'm crippled with it, I overdosed on XTC during my summer of stupidity a few years back I'm not the typical guy you would picture when the word XTC is used but it takes all sorts to make a world.

Anyway I end up in hospital with a heart rate of 225 I was in serious danger of dying and had I arrived a half hour later there wouldn't of been anything they could do so now I panic all the time and sleep is a thing of the past.

Here's a list of things that have helped me somewhat

Look up Gerd those of you with anxiety who are experiencing chest pains etc could just have this it's comforting to know that it's something harmless that you can treat

Cut dairy out of your diet as much as possible you shouldn't be tired after eating and anything that zaps you of energy like cheese is probably a bad idea.

If you want to avoid Meds like I do (I have taken enough pills as you cal well imagine) take things like Vitamin B complex magnesium and calcium these things reduce andrenaline and promote more positive chemicals in the body and remember all anxiety is in it's purest form is adrenaline trying to cope with your percieved fear,

(The vadt majority of us anxious people use up all our magnesium and calcium as well as Vitamin B and C we need more than the average person it's that simple)

Some excercise is good. Try and befriend your heart a little whole grain foods are great throw out the menu's and have a bowl of weetabix it sucks but not worse than anxiety. Cholesterol tend to be higher because your body stores it for energy that it may need later cause of your stress levels thats why stress can be bad for your health so whole grains and no grease guys.

Talk to someone seriously talk to someone anyone I talk to my girlfriend who is a rock to me.

Don't go to the doctor EVER. If you want a prescription go to a Therapist doctors treat symptoms thats what they are trained to do, You have nothing wrong with you. Go see a therapist who can prescribe you something if you really need it.

Slow down your breathing, the quickest way to reduce adrenaline is to take slow deep unlaboured breathes if you sometimes feel like your choking remember there is a mechanism that makes that impossible so just breathe through it.

Take care of yourselves guys I hope I offered up at least something of use. I'm still battling this but if I can be of any assistance to anyone you need only asks I know other treatments and have tried different clinics etc so just PM me and I'll help if I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭fugazied

Anxiety can be very hard to deal with. I think simple steps are effective sometimes. For example, making yourself go for a walk EVERY day. For people with anxiety it can be hard to get out of the house, but it must be done. It helps conquer my mild social anxiety. Also not over-thinking every single thing, it's never as bad as our anxiety makes us think it will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Please; make sure you get a very full physical check.

Many suffer what the drs label "anxiety" because of an undiagnosed physical ilness eg M.E, early Parkinsons.. MS. Thingsthat are hard to diagnose.

So easy to psychologise, isn't it?

The father of a friend was one such case; they said he was anxious, agoraphobic and had it all worked out why etc.

I said; get a full physical check; emerged he had very early Parkinsons. That was treated, and no more panic attacks etc

And my own experience of three decades of this diagnosis and suffering all that is written here; in fact I have M.E and that was the problem all along.

CBT etc is bad for people with M.E, you see. Because we go up and down so much. Some days we can go for a walk; other times the thought of it is impossible - and that reaction is easily mistaken for severe anxiety.

Blessings this day....

Yeah I checked myself out in the doctors said my cholesterol was slightly high but other than that I was fine, It was just the sheer trauma that came after my experience that left me this way, Today for example I'm playing bass for a group in town here and I hate the thoughts of having to do it, It's a trapped feeling I do want to start exercising again hopefully soon I have had knee surgery recently and bad knee problems for 4 years so I would be limited.

Would like to try CBT but I reckon it's expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Don't go to the doctor EVER. If you want a prescription go to a Therapist doctors treat symptoms thats what they are trained to do, You have nothing wrong with you. Go see a therapist who can prescribe you something if you really need it.
    QUOTE]

the only "therapist" who is legally allowed to prescribe is, in fact, one who is a qualified doctor.

and anxiety is a recognised disorder, there is something wrong, and that something can be treated. it is best treated with a combination of medication and psychotherapy.

it is foolhardy and potentially dangerous to tell someone to never go to a doctor.

Have you ever heard of the organization Grow? Well I belonged to a chapter here it deals with stress anxiety depression etc it hails from australia and has chapters spread all over the world and of it's 12 patrons in my chapter the outcome is always the same once the condition is recognised as anxiety and obviously not something else then all a doctor will do is send you to a phsycologist or someone who deals with CBT or emotional freedom or a hundred other treatments, Doctors are for sick people,

I knew one girl who could not be convinced that it was anxiety so it was a trip to the doctor every other day, 6 years downs the line all she ever recieved was medication which served only to mask the symptoms in a controlled enviorment she was addicted to valium and I would wager still is, Your right it was fool hardy and I spologise whole heartedly I guess I'm blinded by my own experience so I shouldn't speak for everyone and I hope I haven't offended anyone but I will argue to the death that once a person has been diagnosed with anxiety recurring trips to the doctors will bear very little fruit. Most people my doctor deals with bearing anxiety does nothing more than check their blood and then forward them to Clane hospital because as she said herself "she can't treat it". The other doctor who I no longer frequent doped me up on Effexor when this didn't work he put me on a three month course of lexapro which I discovered later was worsening my anxiety as I was one of the few cases who's anxiety decreased when I suddenly stopped taking meds.:pac:............

Again I'm sorry Sam believe me when I say I had only good intentions.

oh and when people have anxiety there isn't something wrong thats not an argument it's an over active amygdala and an over reactive sub concious that's not debatable. As for the meds a think a psychotherapist would be better equipped to medically treat anxiety as well as emotionally. Dr. Curry in clane was very good. Expensive but very good

A woman called Aine Tubirdy wrote a fantastic book on it and I plan to see her in the future Dr. Curry describes her as the best there is and it was high praise coming from him I believe as well as a Therapist she's a cardiologist and deals with cardiac rehabilitaion a fantastically qualified woman to deal with anxiety and panic she does everything from mantra's to hypnosis to CBT when it comes to something like anxiety she appears to have all the bases covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭littlelulu

Not sure i agree with 'don't go to the doctor ever'.... I was in a terrible state because of anxiety, shaking, heart pounding, sweating, panic attacks etc for days without stopping. I went to my doctor and he helped me so so so much (not with medication)! He is quite a gem though. I actually burst out crying because he was the first person that understood me and explained what was happening, how it was happening etc. The best piece of information i got was that the anxiety attack can only last so long, it will peak and then come back down and to do something like muscle relaxation to burn up the energy. I understand a lot of doctors are the come in and get out kind but i left that day feeling reassured, understood what was happening and that everything would be ok. He really insisted that i face the problem and fight it otherwise i would never win.

Its a horrible horrible feeling but the best thing is to talk to people, don't bottle it. Don't give up on what's causing it either. Its a tough tough journey and it will pop up every now and again but you need to find your own way to deal with it. Its much easier to deal with if you know exactly what is happening and how. That way you know what to expect and won't panic about what could possibly happen.

Medication is not the answer for long term. Its best to fight it yourself rather than cover it up.

Most importantly... everyone is different. I have friends with anxiety, i don't understand their anxiety and vice versa. What works for them might not work for me. So if somebody gives you advice and it doesn't work it doesn't mean its the end of the road and this is the rest of your life, it just means you have to turn around and try something else. I find opening and closing my hands tightly burns up the energy and relaxes me, breathing techniques don't work for me.

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭littlelulu

just realised this thread is very old.... oh well :o

Advertisement