Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving house and how it will affect my dog?

Options
  • 14-05-2008 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭

Guys.. Looking for some advice on how to prepare my dog for a house move?

I have lived in my current house for 6 years and my mad as a hatter dog joined our happy family 5 years ago. Anyway we are in the process of selling our house and will be renting for a year (in preparation for a move out of Dublin) and I want to make the move as trauma free for the dog as I can so what tips could you pass on to me? I havnt actually gotten a house to rent yet but when I do I will make sure that it has an ample sized garden as she is used to running around and playing in the current garden.

Thanks

G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Thier the same as children, thier nose will be out of joint for a while and will need lots of reassurance and from you until he/she settles in, shouldnt take long, expect it not to eat for a couple of days but as they start to settle in, the ears will prick up again and the tail wil start wagging and they should be back to its normal self.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

@ bitemybanger.. Thanks for the reply.. The plan is for us to move into the new house on a Thursday and between myself and my partner there will be somebody in the house at all times from that day until the following Tuesday so hopefully that will be enough time to get her settled into the new house and she should have picked up all her new scents by then.

Its really weird moving house this time around(have moved 4 times in the last 10 years) as this time around we have to make sure we have a large enough garden and not just a yard and every house we look at we have to consider how the dog will react/fit in to the new house layout. It really is like having a child .. I love it though.. Wouldnt change it for the world..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

No worries. Its nice to see somone giving thier pets some tought before a move after all they are part of the family, lots of people dont understand how important it is.
    Another thing you should do is bring him/her for good walks to familarise him/ with the new sounds and smells and most important, the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I recall when we moved to our new house (in 1965 :o). It was only about a mile up the road from our old house however our little terrier Sam would always return to our old house and wait for us to 'come home' when we came to our senses.

He eventually got the message though that this was our new home now and eventually loved it around his new locality - even if our new neighbours did not like him so much.

It did take a week or two for this to happen though and my father would have to go down to our old house to get him and bring him back. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MissyN

Hi Gazzer
    There is a plug in device that you can get which is called a DAP (dog appeasing pheromone). Its just like a plug in air freshener and it basically gives off the scent that a female animal gives after shes had babies and its very comforting and would make the dog very relaxed. Its perfect for when you're moving house or around halloween with the fireworks. Its available from your vet but theres a website called doggiesolutions which sells it for a good bit cheaper and they mail to Ireland. This could help your dog a lot when you move. Maybe plug it into your old house a week before you move and then plug it into your new house. Also let her relax on blankets and bedding that she would have lay on in your old house and the scent off that will be something familiar in the new house. If you're chilled and relaxed in your new house, your doggie will feel this and won't be too affected.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement