Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filling V Crown

Options
  • 14-05-2008 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

I got a root canal and a filling 6 months ago , the dentist recommends that I have this filling removed in the next 6 months and get a crown instead. He says the filling won't last. Is this normal? I am wondering is he trying to pull a fast one by charging me for a crown I don't need.

Am I better sticking with the filling for as long as possible and then getting a crown if I need it when it does fail, or am I better getting the crown now before the filling fails.

Apart from wondering whether he is pulling a fast one for money, I don't want to get a crown now that might last 15 years if I can keep a filling that might last 5-10 years and then get a crown that would last 15 years.

I know I have the option of going to another dentist for a second opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Had big work done on one of my teeth and just got it filled at the time coz i couldnt afford to get it crowned, that was 5 yrs ago and the filling is still there. I still have it in the back of my mind to get it crowned though, cant justify the cost of it though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I'm in a similar situation. My right-upper 5 is more composite filling than tooth and it's been re-filled several times, originally it was an amalgam filling.

My dentist refused to fill it again and says I need a crown. I can't say I'd blame him, every time you get a refilling, you have more tooth drilled out.

It will be pricey but worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

how it works is, the filling will last but the tooth won't!

the larger a filling the less tooth you have and the weaker this remaining tooth is.with a large filling that includes the biting surface and touches the teeth either side of it, 37% of those teeth will fracture within 5 years. thats alot!

waiting for the filling to fail can be okay, the problem is when the tooth fails and you lose so much tooth that that tooth can't take another filling or crown, thats when things get expensive.

"Apart from wondering whether he is pulling a fast one for money, I don't want to get a crown now that might last 15 years if I can keep a filling that might last 5-10 years and then get a crown that would last 15 years."

once a crown is on a tooth, the crown itself can last 30-40 years,it's decay from high sugar diets,carbonated drinks etc. that reduce the lifespan of crowns.It's much easier to prolong the life of a crown by flossing(as much fun as that is) and watching your diet rather than trying to get an extra year or 2 out of the filled tooth.
    Bryan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Have the same predicament as you now OP. Upper right premolar. Outward (and cosmetically important!:)) section just broke eating some innocent tortellini last week. Ironically had dental appointment the very next day - I'm embarrassed to admit it was the first checkup in 7/8 years! The dentist said they could do filling that mighn't last, but recommended a crown. Crown prices quoted made the tortellini potentially the most expensive meal of my life - but tooth was probably going to give sooner or later.

Think I might save a few quid over the next few paydays and go for the crown. Teeth are one thing that are vital and there is no point having money in your pocket/bank account when you are skimping on something vital.

I understand your skepticism all the same. It is big bucks and of course it appears to be in the dentist's interest financially to make such a recommendation. I am going to think about it myself. Some of the advice given already is very good. That 37% stat is borne out by my experience in that my tooth broke 8 years after the filling. Another filling mightn't be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

Healthy skepticism?

crown or fill?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

BryanL wrote: »
    Healthy skepticism?

crown or fill?

Woah! small guy on lower right was a bit overdone too! Pennywise...

Advertisement