Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asus EEEPC 701 4G

Options
  • 14-05-2008 10:36am
    Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭

Im thinking about buying this off TSGalway but im not really sure what to expect from it. It would be a 2nd laptop, for college stuff mainly, nothing strenuous at all, not that it would handle much. Itd be handy just to throw in the bag, its light, and small so thats handy.

Are they any good? When were they released for sale? Looking at the processor of 900Mhz it seems a bit weak by todays standards, granted its not a performance laptop but would it be sluggish with XP installed? I may even stay with the OS included on it.

If anyones had an experience with this type laptop I love to hear from ya.

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=55929&cat=8
    Thats the laptop im on about.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I installed XP on it for my g/f there bout a month ago, was fairly easy if you were to consider it yourself. The 4Gb of storage does get limited a wee bit so invest in an 8-16gb SD card and redirect everything to it if you go the XP route. As a machine itself its not bad, I thought it was lovely, highly portable and not *too* bad to type on even with wee keys.
    The downside is now the machine wont power on, the g/f's in New Zealand and Im'm trying to diagnose a dead laptop 18'000 miles away. Sonds like AC adaptor might be fritzed so have bought replacement and also replacement battery, will see how that goes. Although there tech support does respond to emails pretty quickly (6 hours) but alas weren't entirely helpful. Still If i had the cash and inclination, I'd buy on for myself, or maybe wait for the MSI Wind.....

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Cheers.

How was it when running a few different apps? Firefox, MS office, Adobe, all at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

If my 256Mb RAM Toshiba could do it, there's no reason this couldn't. It can handle about 3-4 programs at once without grinding itself down into a hole

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

The XP install I had on it was nLited so it had pretty much nothing on it. I used Thunderbird for her email and Firefox for internet access (even though I did leave Internet Explorer on it,shes used to it not firefox). It seemed to run fine, I didnt put an antivirus on it or anything like that, I wanted it to be fast so as little bloat as possible and upped the ram to 1gb from 512mb.Office ran fine on it too but i forgot to add outlook to the install process (as shes used to this also) so I went for thunderbird (which is very easy to use and light on resources,plus you can redirect your email stores to your SD card). So I would recommend them (Eee's) highly,if I didnt have 4 laptops already I'd be offering on the one your looking at one adverts!

While placing this thread I was fearing people seeing the Ad and then beginning to place bids! This will be laptop #2 for me if it goes ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Better put a bid in then shouldn't ya! :)

13.33 - Black_knight puts in a bid.
    13.36 -
    Better put a bid in then shouldn't ya! :)

:pac:

Best of luck.

Edit: 13.40 Grayzer87 comes from nowhere!

LOL sure its not done yet... or is it?

MC

OH its ON! On like donkey kong! :p

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I use my eee daily, for college and around the house, and dont worry about it being slow, because mine is actually quite fast. Quick boot time from xp, doesn't get bogged down, i can run multiple apps like google earth, mozilla, and open office at once and it's grand, it does get a little hot though. And i get about 2.5 to 3 hours on a full charge, i have reduced the strength of the wireless which improved battery life by 30 minutes:eek:. Great little machine, It might be worth your while waiting to see what the competition is going to be releasing soon, such as Dell's eee pc killer and others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

With mine I had Nlite'd XP with full AVG, Spybot, Firefox, etc all installed and active. Was grand - 900mhz Celeron M is about the same as a 1.7Ghz Pentium 4 or thereabouts, more then enough to run XP for general tasks without any issue.

Sold mine though. Nice machine, so light which was great but typing is a nightmare; minor let alone extensive college work would be a big no no for this, no matter how much you get accustomed to the keyboard it's still inevitably cumbersome.

Great for browsing the web and watching movies though - I'll call this the perfect travel laptop, but it is, bluntly, crap for anything that requires extensive and constant use of the keyboard.

I would not get it if its for college in the sense of not only reading material, but typing essays.

I would not get it if its for college in the sense of not only reading material, but typing essays.

Electronic Engineer - i dont write essays! :pac:
    Itd mostly be for accessing online college material, reading pdf's, having notes infront of me without carrying around a big laptop.
    And posting on boards

I have a vostro 1510 on route so any big typing sessions, games, programming etc will be done on that.

Yeah for browsing it's pretty good. Though - if you're looking at notes involving diagrams and charts, it becomes a pain, the screen is so damn tiny. Trust me, it WILL drive you insane if you try to go beyond the very basics.

Hmm, Daddy got lots of money to burn??? LOL

Would back Terrors point, its not really suitable for typing anythig other than a few short notes, certainly not for class notes, besides the Vostro is a better and easier machine to use in the long run.

Noted. Thanks.

If chance happens that my bid is accepted ill have a look to compare finger tip size to key size for compatibility.
    Where can one order a dialing wand?

You could always get one of the cool roll up or folding usb keyboards...:)

They are cool.
    But the correct answer was to mash the dial pad with your hand.

must try that out.

Ill worry about my bid first, finger size later. By the by my fingers arnt chubby at all so im just making playful banter.

Hmm, Daddy got lots of money to burn??? LOL

Would back Terrors point, its not really suitable for typing anythig other than a few short notes, certainly not for class notes, besides the Vostro is a better and easier machine to use in the long run.

Whos daddy? Mine?
    For one, IM buying the laptop, not "daddy", maybe thats how things are for you but its not my place to delve into your personal life.
    And for two, who burns money? Give your burning money to me, ill dispose of it rightly.

Also, are ya trying to impress me with my own laptop so ill forget about the Asus? I know the vostro is good, thats why I bought one! :D

Whatever!!!!! rofl

MC

PS I never give money to students so they can pi$$ it down the drain, I'm very capable of that myself thank you! :)

I'm very capable of that myself thank you! :)
    Well done.

• Advertisement

I'm a student and I've paid for every cent of my gaming machine, monitor, laptops, as well as contributing towards bills etc, no different then most students I know. Most of us work hard you know on the days we're not at college, surely you were also a student once?

Relax guys its not all that long ago for me... I can remember... or can I... Dunno its just a haze now. ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Where can one order a dialing wand?

"The fingers you have used to dial are too fat...."
    had to be done.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

If i was to buy it i'd keep the OS that it comes with

Advertisement