Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portable Hard Drive/Media Player

Options
  • 14-05-2008 8:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

Hi All,

I hope you can help me and sorry if this post is in the wrong place! I have a portable hard drive the kind you can hook to the TV to view your media on. Last night after I was finished transferring some stuff onto it from the pc I went to unplug it and it fell over onto its side and starting making some weird noises. I connected it to the TV and switched it on and an error message flashed up(hard drive error I think it said ). I then tried to connect it back up to the pc to see if it would recognise it but it didn’t.

It making all the sounds like it is starting to boot up but it gets to a certain point and you then hear two loud noises and then nothing, my question is can this be repaired and whats the likely cost of this or is it only fit for the bin ?? As it cost me €250 about 7 months ago and I have some files on it I would like to keep I hope this is not the case,

Thanks for any help you can give

Gary.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

If the drive is gone it's had it. If it's a loose wire it can be fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Just replace the hard drive, if its kaput.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mcgrailg

how much would a new one cost ?

What type of media player is it. Does it take 2.5" laptop or 3.5" desktop hard drives? PATA or SATA drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

Was that noise a loud Tak-Tak-tak... like the sound of something metal hitting against something spinning at high speed? If it was, the Hard drive's head has crashed against the disk and damaged it. Each time you try to start the disk up, the head reaches the damaged part and hits the debris from the first crash... causing it to drag or crash again.

Basically, the Harddisk is utterly ****ed. It is dead. It has gone to silicon heaven.

• Advertisement

Cheers Dartz, thats what i figured it was

Nforce i dont know i will go home and open up the housing and have a look, can the drive just be replaced in the housing and everything still work off it ?

It should be easy enough to replace...though chances are that any data on the old hard drive is gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Could try to the freezer trick (google it), but get any files off it quick afterward as it is prob well borked if making sounds like you say.

Cheers lads for your help !

Freezer Trick.... i'll look it up

Hi,as far as i can make out its a 3.5 eide drive (is this the same as pata?)
    anyway the model is WD3200JB-00KFA0

• Advertisement

Yep...it's a 320gb Western Digital IDE or PATA drive. Any ide drive will do the job. Have a look or place an ad on adverts.ie if you want it on the cheap :)

Cheers Nforce, i'll have a look on adverts now,

Gary.

Just make sure it's a 3.5" desktop drive and not a 2.5" mobile one ;)

Advertisement