Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin cycle track map

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Victor wrote: »
    Wow, the DTO are making themselves useful. I had the idea for ages to put together a set of maps like that myself (i.e, based on personal observation).

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

spacetweek wrote: »
    Wow, the DTO are making themselves useful. I had the idea for ages to put together a set of maps like that myself (i.e, based on personal observation).

Please do, they might be more acurate.

Those DTO maps make Dublin look like a Cyclists Metropolis.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, it's a start. Only problems - no legend. What's the difference between the purple lines and the blue lines and the red lines? Or did I just miss that?
    They're also not at nearly high enough resolution.

Rather than PDF files, a much better application would be overlaying the Microsoft Earth maps directly with the cycle tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭steve-o

seamus wrote: »
    Rather than PDF files, a much better application would be overlaying the Microsoft Earth maps directly with the cycle tracks.
    That would be a much better idea - it would be great if there was a way for people to rate each route and add comments.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

seamus wrote: »
    Yeah, it's a start. Only problems - no legend. What's the difference between the purple lines and the blue lines and the red lines? Or did I just miss that?
    They're also not at nearly high enough resolution.

You missed the legend - it's there. On the PDF drilldowns.

Agreed on a Gmaps/Microsoft Live overlay. Those are the standards these days.

For my implementation, I had been thinking of noting deficient or dangerous sections and sections in poor repair. There are many, many of those in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I just see a green hue overlay on microsoft maps?
    Seems pretty pointless, the site is ugly as hell and not intuitive.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

This new two-way off road track between Chapelizod and Islandbridge is missing...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55599635

Elsewhere, the rankings of one type or another seam to be all over the place...

Looking at the Phoenix Park and in the Docklands, I can spot a number of tracks marked diffrently. Some being marked as "Off Road Cycle Track" when they are just as close to the road as others which are marked "Adjacent to Road Cycle Track". One in the park is marked as a "On Road Cycle Track", but cars have no access to the road any more.

In other areas I see at lots of bus lanes being listed as "On Road Cycle Track". Also no marking for two-way tracks (for the few places they are on one way streets etc).

On a different note, it seams crazy that all the maps for Dublin equals just under 20mb, while LA Metro have their bike map of LA County all-in-one coming in at less then 1mb! http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/maps/la_bike_map.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

monument wrote: »
    Looking at the Phoenix Park and in the Docklands, I can spot a number of tracks marked diffrently. Some being marked as "Off Road Cycle Track" when they are just as close to the road as others which are marked "Adjacent to Road Cycle Track". One in the park is marked as a "On Road Cycle Track", but cars have no access to the road any more.
    Shows a cycle track on St John's Road West (outbound) where the surface markings were removed last year.

Some extra classifications I think are needed: "Advisory cycle lane or (ThisIsNotACycleTrack)" and "Shared use car/truck/bus/taxi/security van/motorbike/cycle track".

The impression being given is that dedicated cyclist-only facilities exist where they do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭dubb

Victor wrote: »

now moved to the very memorable address dto.ie/ctbl (cycle tracks & bus lanes)

Advertisement